Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday: Villains, Criminals, and Basic Baddies


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is your favorite Villains that you love to hate.

I didn't think I'd be able to come up with 10, but once I got going I did manage it. Here we go, in no particular order (don't ask me who I think is the biggest baddie, I'm just pleased that I came up with ten).


1. The White Witch from C. S. Lewis. One of the first baddies that I ran across (unless you count the Big Bad Wolf with the three little pigs or his cousin with Little Red Riding Hood). She was really slick wasn't she? Snaring little boys with Turkish Delight.

2. Professor Moriarty, Sherlock Holmes's arch-nemesis. How could I not list the "Napoleon of Crime"--"the organizer of half that is evil and of nearly all that is undetected in [London]"?

3. The Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland. Gotta love a villain whose best line is "Off with her head!"

4. Big Brother in 1984. Government evil at its worst.

5. But wait, then there's the government that sends out the Firemen in Farenheit 451. A book blogger has GOT to hate those who condone and enforce book burning!

6. Iago in Othello. The ultimate, sneaky, behind-your-back, better-keep-your-eyes-on-him-at-all-times, butter-won't-melt-in-his-mouth, bad guy.

7. Cruella de Ville. Wants to murder puppies for a fur coat. What more need I say?

8. Dorian Gray. Willing to kill just so he won't be criticized by his "conscience" and so he can stay pretty.

9. Mr. Hyde. Letting loose all that's bad and horrible in man.

10. Mrs. Danvers. The original creepy housekeeper. Particularly as played by Judith Anderson in the Hitchcock version.

Honorable Mention: Villefort in The Count of Monte Cristo

10 comments:

brandileigh2003 said...

I didn't think about the White witch!
here is mine

CMash said...

Once again your memory serves you correct especially Cruella de Ville

Red said...

"butter-won't-melt-in-his-mouth". I love this description!!

Dorian Gray is a great one too. Such a creep.

Roof Beam Reader said...

8. Dorian Gray. Willing to kill just so he won't be criticized by his "conscience" and so he can stay pretty.

This one ALMOST made it onto my list as well. Great choices! Cruella.. bahaha.

Birdie said...

hehehe, some how when I saw that you participated in this one, I knew Mrs. Danvers would make your list. She definitely made mine too. Bonus points for Judith Anderson's version--she's amazingly creepy in that movie.

danya said...

Ooooh awesome list! The White Witch is a good choice (always winter and never Christmas? How evil is THAT.)

Sugar and Snark said...

I love that you have Cruella de Ville on your list :)

Ashley @ Bookaholics Anonymous said...

I love that cruelle and the white witch are on the list.

bibliophile brouhaha said...

I almost put Iago on my list, too! Horrible man!

-Linds, bibliophile brouhaha

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Mrs. Danvers, yes. She sure was creepy. I haven't read 101 Dalmatians, only saw the movies so I didn't add Cruella but she certainly is your consummate villain. The White Witch was my 1st villain on my list, too.
-Anne
http://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com