Friday, November 12, 2010

Hopping into the Weekend


It's Friday and that means it's time for the Book Blogger Hop hosted by Crazy-For-Books. It's a time to talk about blogging and book topics and to venture out on the internet and visit other blogs. Visit the link to join in.


Last week Jennifer challenged us to find a new blog to followe and to post at least 5 different comments. We were to get to know the blogger and what they post about. This week we were supposed to report on our experience. I went out and found The Book Worshipper. When I read her "about me" I thought how much she sounded like me...she wants to either open a bookshop or be an editor at a publishing company. Both dreams of mine (although my husband said I'd need to be rich to have that bookstore, because I'd never make any money--I wouldn't want to let any of those books go...). I enjoyed her posts on the deteriorating abilities of the younger generation to produce complete sentences (blaming it on texting) and whether parents should censor their children's reading. Hers is a fairly new blog...but I expect good things to come in the future!


Also this week, we are asked: If you find a book that looks interesting but is part of a series, do you always start with the first title?


My answer: If at all possible. Sometimes (for reasons mysterious to me) the library will start in the middle of a series with no apparent hope of picking up the previous books. I'll look around and see if I can find the other titles. If I can't get them easily, then I'll go ahead and read the interesting-looking one. I've had mixed results with that. Sometimes, it doesn't matter...the author gives you enough background (without boring regular readers to death) that I can step right in. Other times, I'm just lost.

6 comments:

Red said...

I haven't always done it (usually if I didn't realize the books were part of a series) but I always like to read the first book first. It's so frustrating when the library/bookstore/wherever doesn't carry the beginning of the series. And even if the author gives enough background, I still feel like I'm missing lots of little things I would appreciate if I had read the earlier books.

brandileigh2003 said...

I don't start out of series unless I am unaware it is part of one

Anonymous said...

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2010/11/book-blogger-hop.html

Howard Sherman said...

I can dive right into the middle of a book series if the series' story
doesn't run chronologically.

That is to say, if each novel in a series is a stand-alone story (like Lee
Child's Reacher novels) then I don't feel the need to start with book one.

On the other hand, a series of books (like Richard Hatch's Battlestar
Galactica novels) can't be read out of sequence since each new book builds
upon the story of the previous entry in the series.

Happy Book Blogger Hop Friday!

Howard Sherman
http://www.howardsherman.net

kayerj said...

I can't start a series in the middle--I have to read the whole thing from the beginning. I’m blog hopping from follow Friday today. Kaye—the road goes ever ever on

Sugar and Snark said...

Hopping by to say enjoy the rest of your week!