Sunday, November 14, 2010
Gothic Challenge 2011
2011 is right around the corner so it's time to search out and join the upcoming challenges. Or in my case, just have them fall in my lap and tempt me. This one caught my eye when I found it on Senora G's Reading, Reading and Life site and though gothic books aren't my favorite, there are times that they just hit the spot. It has its own dedicated site at Gothic Reading Challenge so check it out and sign up. There is even a list of books to get you started if you need some help (I did)
I am choosing level:
A Maniacal Frenzy - Read 10 novels with Gothic elements.
10 doesn't seem so bad and it can cross over into the Off the Shelf Challenge which asks us to read books we own or have on our TBR so I think 10 is quite doable. Maybe. It does run all year...
Here is my intended list in no particular order:
1. We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (2/26/11)
2. The Woman in Black by Susan Hill (3/15/11)
3. The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux (4/11/11)
4. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (6/11/11)
5. Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (5/5/11)
6. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (5/28/11)
7. Lair of the White Worm by Bram Stoker (3/23/11)
8. Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice (9/13/11)
9. Seven Gothic Tales by Isak Dinesen (8/15/11)
10. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (7/6/11)
11. A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libby Bray (Off the Shelf too)
12. Melmoth the Wanderer by Charles Robert Maturin
Challenge Complete 9/13/11. Will probably read the other two as well--but I have fulfilled my commitment.