Thursday, November 4, 2010

Booking Through Thursday: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly


I'm back for Booking Through Thursday...after having skipped out on it for a couple of weeks. This week's question: I've seen many bloggers say that what draws them to certain books or authors is good writing, and what causes them to stop reading a certain book or author is bad writing. What constitutes good writing and bad writing to you?

Good writing is accessible writing. That doesn't mean that the author doesn't use large or unfamiliar words, but when those words are used, it's obvious that they are necessary--to the story, to the character using them, etc. The writing should also flow--have a rhythm that grabs the reader and takes him/her along for the ride. Doesn't have to be a smooth ride--some stories need to be told in a "rough" manner, but the author will have given the reader a good enough saddle that s/he can stay on for the duration of the journey. Good writing is also enjoyable--even if the subject matter isn't; it should make the reader want to keep reading.

Bad writing is hard work. Bad writing always makes me feel like I'm invlolved in mindless, back-breaking, ditch-digging, why-am-I-doing-this kind of work. I don't mind reading something "difficult" as long as there is purpose and reward at the end (whether that be knowledge gained, a beautiful story, interesting characters, etc.). Bad writing is writing that makes it difficult to understand or care what is going on.

6 comments:

CMash said...

Well said!! Bev, I follow your blog often and closely and all your posts are well written, flow nicely and takes me on the ride.....have you ever thought about writing? Maybe even a novella? I really think you could do it!!!

Anonymous said...

Excellent asnwer!

Here’s mine: http://wp.me/sFyoG-1437

DawnTreader said...

Good answer. Here's mine

Trish said...

Brilliant! Love the idea of accessibility. I have to admit I am at the point where I don't want to work too hard at a novel. Right or wrong, that's where I am. :)

Here's my BTT.

Barbara H. said...

Excellent -- this is one of the most helpful answers I have seen.

Anonymous said...

Good writing is not boring, and peaks your interest, throughout the book.

Bad writing is when a book doesn't have substance & doesn't appeal to the reader in many ways.