Thursday, January 20, 2022

Whose Body?


 Whose Body? (1923) by Dorothy L. Sayers

For a more complete run-down of the story, please see my first review HERE. But I have read the Sayers novels so often that I have very little to add to my thoughts on the actual mystery. What I can say is that these are my comfort reads. I love Sayers's use of language. I love the way she has Lord Peter drizzle his conversation with quotations. I appreciate the way she brought attention to shell-shock (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in these modern times) and examined ways of dealing with it.

This particular outing with Lord Peter Wimsey was taken in the company of Ian Carmichael who performed the audio version of this story. A couple of years ago I listened to David Case's rendition of my favorite lord in sleuth's clothing and was bitterly disappointed. Case gives Wimsey a voice that veers from almost whiny to somewhat sneering. It's quite unsettling. But Ian Carmichael played Lord Peter in the first video version and his vocal take on Wimsey is (to my mind) perfect--particularly for the early cases. It was quite lovely to settle down and listen to this familiar story with Carmichael guiding the way. And it is always a delight to hear the passages involving the Dowager Duchess--from her rendition of the Coroner's interactions with the deaf Mrs. Thipps to her mental tennis match with Mr. Milligan as she tries to figure out what invitation her son has delivered in her name (without giving away that she has no idea what the man is talking about). And the book is worth the price of admission just to hear the scenes with the young medical student. A thoroughly entertaining story at any time. 

First line: "Oh, damn!" said Lord Peter Wimsey at Piccadilly Circus.

Last lines: "Bunter!"  "My lord?" "The Napoleon brandy."

********************

Deaths = 2 (one hit on head; one other)


No comments: