Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Inspiration


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This week we're being asked to list our Top Ten Most Inspirational Characters.

1. Nancy Drew: who impressed upon me at an early age that girls could be just as smart as boys, could handle adventure and get out of tough spots.

2. Atticus Finch: discovered late...but the man to look to for standing up for your principles.

3. General Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain...although a real person, I discovered him in The Killer Angels. A true hero who held his ground at Gettysburg even when the odds were drastically against him. He came back again and again after being wounded to be leader when the Union needed good leaders.

4. Huck Finn: who saw Jim for what he was...a fellow human being and not just a slave or the newly white-washed N-word.

5. Tacy from the Betsy & Tacy stories. Writer wannabe and book lover. Sounds vaguely familiar...

6. Kate Fansler (Amanda Cross mystery series): witty, smart, loyal academic. She has a lot of qualities that I aspire to.

That's all...I'd be reaching to pull out more. They may be out there...but I don't want to force it.


4 comments:

Red said...

I wish I'd thought of Huck Finn. A loyal friend who could see paste the hatred of his time.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I thought of Huck Finn days before I created the list and then forgot to actually put him on the list.

-Anne
My Head is Full of Books

Teacher/Learner said...

Huck Finn & Nancy Drew--good choices! Yours is the only list I saw with those characters. Nancy Drew was a fave of mine as a child & I loved how she broke the mold by being an active female character rather than passive, especially in the mystery genre.

Tasha said...

Nancy Drew can do anything. And she's always so stylish doing it!