Friday, January 7, 2011

Book Beginnings on Friday


Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Katy over at A Few More Pages. How to participate: Share the first like (or two) of the book you are currently reading on your blog or in the comments. Include the title and author so we know what you're reading. Then, if you like, let us know what your first impressions were based on the first line, and let us know why you did or did not like that sentence. Link up at Katy's page every Friday.



Here is mine from Emma by Jane Austen:

Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.

My thoughts: Must be nice to have everything going your way. Not an opening that makes me want to like Emma. If I hadn't already seen the televised version (and liked it), I don't think that this first line would be pulling me right in....

4 comments:

Kathy Martin said...

How nice for her! I'm assuming all doesn't go smoothly or there wouldn't be a story. Happy reading!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Ah, yes, reading about someone with very little "to distress or vex her" does not endear this character to us, does it?

But then again, with that opener, we're almost sure to see her go through some stuff. I need to read this one. One of Austen's works that I've missed.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Suzanne said...

I think this sentence is partially the reason why I didn't enjoy this novel. I disliked Emma from the beginning.

Katy said...

I think Emma is one of my least favorite Austen heroines. But it's an enjoyable read nonetheless. :)