Thursday, January 27, 2011

Booking Through Thursday


This week Booking Through Thursday wants to know: What’s the largest, thickest, heaviest book you ever read? Was it because you had to? For pleasure? For school?

I'm going to answer this twice.

The largest, thickest, heaviest book I ever read that I had to read for school was Moby Dick. In high school--I was dragged through that kicking and screaming. Hated every minute. Not an American Lit girl and did not want to read about Ahab and the whale.

The largest, heaviest, thickest book I ever read for pleasure was Ulysses by James Joyce. Why? Because I thought I ought to...being an English major and all. And interested in literature from that side of the pond. Did I enjoy it? Not particularly. Heck, I didn't even really understand it. But I'm terribly proud of the fact that I can say I did it.

3 comments:

Jenny Girl said...

For me it was The Source by Michner, whihc I never finished. It was highschool, but I think I would appreciate it now, being older and wiser ;)

CMash said...

That is exactly why I don't do classics!!!

Bev Hankins said...

@CMash: They are NOT all like that. Honest!