Tuesday, January 4, 2011
Top Ten Tuesday: Book Resolutions 2011
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This week we're being asked to list our "Top Ten Books I Resolve to Read in 2011." Here we go:
1. Tristram Shandy by Laurence Sterne. This one has been on my TBR list for so long that it's got a long flowing beard. I've started the darn thing about three times and always seem to get to the same place and then quit. I will finish it this year.
2. Emma by Jane Austen. I love Austen. You'd think that I would have read everything by her by now. Not so. Gonna work on changing that.
3. Savage Beauty: The Life of Edna St. Vincent Millay by Nancy Milford. Another book that I've started but never finished. Not that it wasn't interesting--but it's so darn long.
4. Middlemarch by George Eliot. One of those monster "I was an English Major and I like the Victorian era--I should read this" books. I do want to read it--but it's very intimidating sitting there on the shelf.
5. The High Crusade by Poul Anderson. A carry-over from my Science Fiction days....need to get it off the shelves.
6. The Best of Mystery by Alfred Hitchcock. A gift from my best friend (too many Christmases ago). Need to get that one off the shelf too....
7. Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon. An early mystery that I've wanted to read for a long time.
8. The Leavenworth Case by Anna Katherin Green. Another vintage mystery that's been on the list for quite a while.
9. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I've seen so many good things about this one.
10. Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis. (The whole trilogy, actually.) Another carry-over from science fiction days.