Sunday, January 16, 2011

Birth Year Reading Challenge: Time Machine

Here's what I'm talking about. I had such a good time with the Birth Year Reading Challenge in 2010, that I've been waiting with bated breath to see what Hotchpot Cafe would come out with for the 2011 version. I've not been disappointed. Of course, I'm signing up (I'm a Challenge Addict--was there ever a question?).

Here's a mini-version of the rules:

Find out what books were published the year you were born. Decide how many you want to read and make a post declaing your challenge level. And link back at the site to let our host know.
OR If you've already participated (or were born in a year with really unattractive books), you may use the Time Machine option. Roll real dice or use the virtual dice link on the challenge site. Add or subtract that number from your birth year and choose books from that year. For each book you read, you are awarded a candle. When your cake is full (challenge met), then there are Prizes (yes, prizes!). Once you meet your goal, you'll have the opportunity to select a book from the Hotchpot library stash. And...you may just want to keep reading past your goal, because on January 1, 2012, the three readers who've earned the most candles will be entered in a drawing for a $25.00 gift card from Barnes & Noble. For more complete details visit the Birth Year Challenge page.

Since I participated last year (and had a blast...have I mentioned that this was my favorite challenge in 2010), I have opted for the Time Machine. I used the virtual dice and very fortuitously rolled a three. This means I'm going to read books from my husband's birth year: 1966.
My Challenge goal is eight books (a severe cut-back from last year, but his list isn't nearly as enticing as mine was and I'm trying to take into account that I'm signed up for 17 other challenges....). I'm planning on the following books:

1. The Bloody Wood by Michael Innes

2. Fantastic Voyage by Isaac Asimov
(4/30/11)
3. The Magic Finger
by Roald Dahl (4/16/11)
4. Third Girl by Agatha Christie (4/18/11)

5. The Religious Body
by Catherine Aird (5/30/11)
6. Death of a Doxy by Rex Stout (4/26/11)
7. Flying Finish by Dick Francis
(1/29/11)
8. Live or Die by Anne Sexton
(1/21/11)
9. Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard (4/17/11)
10. Black Sheep by Georgette Heyer (4/28/11)
11.
Killer Dolphin by Ngaio Marsh (5/14/11)
12. Panic in Box C by John Dickson Carr (5/21/11)

There were a few more that looked good--but they don't seem to be readily available. If I manage to get my hands on them, then I'll keep adding after eight. Progress and review LINK.

I have now read eight books as I promised I would. Challenge Complete (4/30/11)! But I do plan on reading more and adding more candles to my husband's cake!

2 comments:

danya said...

Thanks for your recommendation, Bev - someone else suggested Ray Bradbury too, so I guess he's popular! I remember reading his story The Veldt in high school and being totally freaked out by it, but perhaps I should give him another try. Any books/short story collections you would particularly recommend?

Love this Birth Year Reading Challenge idea! And the Castle of Llyr is awesome - it is the third in the Prydain Chronicles series. Have you read the first two? (They are excellent as well :D)

J.G. said...

Welcome back to the BYRC, Bev! I'm glad to have you along. Can't wait to hear what you think of your choices--you've got some good ones there!