Saturday, January 15, 2011

Library Loot: January 12-18


Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire (The Captive Reader) and Marg (The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader) that encourages bloggers to share the books they've checked out of the library. If you'd like to participate, just write up your post, feel free to steal button, and link up using the Mr. Linky on Marg's site this week. And, of course, check out what other participants are getting from their libraries.


This week's loot:

The X in Sex: How the X Chromosome Controls Our Lives by David Bainbridge (picked up for the A-Z Reading Challenge--one of the few books that starts with "X" as the first important "word")


Publish & Be Murdered by Ruth Dudley Edwards (for the A-Z Mystery Authors Challenge)



Zorro: A Novel by Isabel Allende (another for the A-Z Reading Challenge)




I also expected to be picking up The Mischief of the Mistletoe by Lauren Willig which I have been in line for through the hold function for what seems like eons. I had received my notice and everything. But when I got there, the book that was waiting for me was Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff. Someone mixed the holds up....So I'm still waiting for the Mistletoe book.

And I picked up a little bit of music to read by:

Mendelssohn: Piano Trios, Op. 49 & Op. 66 with Emmanuel Ax, Yo Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman (what a great trio!)



And a stop by the Library's Used/Donation Bookstore gave me a copy of Oxford Knot by Veronica Stallwood for keeps. Not a bad haul!


5 comments:

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

Ah, you should have bolted with the Stacy Schiff! I had far more fun with it than I did with The Mischief of the Mistletoe, though I can't wait to read The Orchid Affair! The Mendelssohn CD looks fantastic - I hope my library has a copy!

Enjoy your loot!

bibliophiliac said...

The X Chromosome controls our lives? Now I'm intrigued. Hey, there's an X in Emanuel Ax too! Happy reading and listening.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

It looks like you have signed up for a squillion book challenges. I'm worried because I signed up for four, plus the other challenges i have given myself.

I am bestowing on you a blogger award. Check it out over at My Head is Full of Books

-Anne

Mystica said...

I like the sound of Publish and be Murdered and also your op shop find!

Cath said...

The X in Sex sounds like a very interesting read. I look forward to your review of that if you get to it. And I love the sound of Publish and Be Murdered and will go and see what that's about on Amazon. Nice haul!