Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Chunkster Challenge

This is one of the challenges that has been calling my name. Yes, I know what this means. Birdie (and anyone else within range), just come and slap me. Get it over with. I'm a Reading Challenge Addict (as another of my challenges affirms). I can't stop myself. Besides, I figured out that three of the books I had already decided to read would qualify...and I've added the fourth to my Gothic Reading Challenge. It's all good. Here we go....




The Chunkster Challenge is hosted by Wendy and has its own dedicated blog.

Definition of a Chunkster:
  • A chunkster is 450 pages or more of ADULT literature (fiction or nonfiction) ... A chunkster should be a challenge.
The Rules:
  • No Audio books in the chunkster. It just doesn't seem right. Words on paper for this one folks.
  • No e-Books allowed - we are reading traditional, fat books for this challenge.
  • Short Stories and Essay collections will not be counted.
  • Books may crossover with other challenges
  • Anyone may join. If you don't have a blog, just leave me a comment on this post with your progress (and to let me know you are playing)
  • You don't need to list your books ahead of time.
  • Once you pick a level, that's it...you're committed to that level!
You must pick a level of participation:
  1. The Chubby Chunkster - this option is for the reader who wants to dabble in large tomes, but really doesn't want to commit to much more than that. FOUR Chunksters is all you need to finish this challenge.
  2. The Plump Primer - this option is for the slightly heavier reader who wants to commit to SIX Chunksters over the next twelve months.
  3. Do These Books Make my Butt Look Big? - this option is for the reader who can't resist bigger and bigger books and wants to commit to SIX Chunksters from the following categories: 2 books which are between 450 - 550 pages in length; 2 books which are 551 - 750 pages in length; 2 books which are GREATER than 750 pages in length (for ideas, please refer to the book suggestions page for some books which fit into these categories).
  4. Mor-book-ly Obese - This is for the truly out of control chunkster. For this level of challenge you must commit to EIGHT or more Chunksters of which three tomes MUST be 750 pages or more. You know you want to.....go on and give in to your cravings.

To sign up, hop over to the site (link above), read the complete rules and use Mr. Linky.

I am being reserved and signing up for the The Chubby Chunkster. My planned reading list:

1. Tristram Shandy by Laurence Sterne (my edition just made it at 458 pages) [5/24/11]
2. Middlemarch by George Eliot (848 pages) [9/27/11]
3. The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (544 pages) [7/6/11]
4. Savage Beauty: The Life of Edna St. Vincent Millay by Nancy Milford (608 pages) [11/19/11]
5. The Eustace Diamonds by Anthony Trollope (794 pages) [2/1/11]
6. The Book Thief by Mark Zusak (554 pages)

***Addendum: If I can find one more book in the 551-750 range, then I'm going to upgrade to Do These Books Make My Butt Look Big? I just think it would be cool to do that level.

Up-Grade! Will now commit to the Do These Books Make My Butt Look Big? Level with six books. (7/15/11)

CHALLENGE COMPLETE 11/19/11

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Do you need a challenge intervention, Bev? ;-)

I think I have some books on the shelf that I can use for this challenge, but I'm going to need to see about a reading sabbatical from my day job though ....

Birdie said...

*evil maniacal laugh*

Well, since you're going to go for the slap, may as well go full on and get the birth year challenge too!

Good for you for tackling these chunksters!

Bev Hankins said...

Just waiting for Hotchpot Cafe to decide on the new rules for this year's birth year edition...