Monday, January 24, 2011

Baker Street Challenge

I should know better than to try and fight the siren song of a good challenge. Especially when I have books sitting on the TBR piles that will just fit right into the needs of the challenge.


So, I'm signing Baker Street Challenge, an annual reading challenge for one of the most iconic and enigmatic literary figures, Sherlock Holmes. We'll be celebrating Doyle's original stories as well as the rich world of new adventures his works have inspired.

The Rules

1. Choose a goal from the reading tier below and add your name to the sign up page.

2. The challenge will run from January 1 to December 31, 2011. You can sign up for the challenge at any time before December 31, 2011.

2. You do not have to choose your books in advance. You may change your reading list at any point in the challenge.

3. Overlapping with other challenges is fine.

4. Audio books and eBooks are allowed.

5. Feel free to post reviews or general thoughts about your reading to the Baker Street Challenge blog. Please e-mail me at bookishruth [at] gmail [dot] com to be added as a contributor.

Reading Tier

Three Pipe Problem: 3 books
The Sign of Four: 4 books
Five Orange Pips: 5 books
Seven Percent Solution: 7 books


Ready to sign up for the challenge or need more info? Head over to the Main Page or the Sign Up page.

***************
I'm signing up for the Five Orange Pips. Here are my planned books (since I've read all of the canon, I'll be doing pastiches for the most part):

1. The Giant Rat of Sumatra by Richard L Boyer (pastiche) [5/7/11]
2. The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Holmes by Loren D Estleman (pastiche) [8/2/11]
3. The White Company by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (non-Holmes) [3/29/11]
4. The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead by David Stuart Davies (pastiche) [9/7/11]
5. Sir Nigel by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (a non-Holmes book by Doyle) [8/21/11]
6. The Language of Bees by Laurie R. King (pastiche)

Commitment complete: 9/7/11

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank You!
I so needed another challenge!

Bev Hankins said...

Of course you did. We all do.

Yvette said...

I loved THE GIANT RAT OF SUMATRA. It's absolutely top notch! You're in for a treat. I am considering joining this challenge though I swore that three was my limit. I haven't succombed yet, though. Still thinking...

Ruth @ Bookish Ruth said...

Thank you so much for joining us, Bev! Your book choices are great. I have all of them either in my TBR pile or on my Amazon wish list, so I can't wait to see what you think of them!