Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Little Grey Cells: The Quotable Poirot


  Little Grey Cells: The Quotable Poirot (2015) by David Brawn (ed)

As I mentioned when I reviewed Murder, She Said (the quote book devoted to the sayings and wisdom of Miss Jane Marple), I have a weakness for quotations. I'm always on the look-out for a nifty turn of the phrase, a profound thought, or even a humorous jest to add to the collection of quotes that I've amassed over the years. And, loving mysteries the way I do, I particularly enjoy finding good quotes in my detective fiction. So, when the books of quotations featuring Agatha Christie's two most famous sleuths came out, I naturally had to add the volumes to my small library of quote books.

It is a small book, but I spent a very pleasant hour reading Poirot's thoughts on everything from himself (oh, what modesty!) to Hastings, from Human Nature to Truth and Lies, and from Romance to Detective Work. It was nice to see quotations from the short stories as well as novels and the book gives us a well-rounded sample of snippets from the great detective. ★★★

No comments: