Wednesday, September 29, 2010

WWW Wednesdays: Whatcha Reading?


WWW Wednesdays is Hosted By MizB over at Should Be Reading.

To play along, just answer the following three questions....

*What are you currently reading?
*What did you recently finish reading?
*What do you think you'll read next?



Current Reads: Madam Crowl's Ghost & Other Stories by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu. In 1888 Henry James wrote "There was the customary novel by Mr. Le Fanu for the bedside, the ideal reading in a country house for the hours after midnight." [These] are tales selected from Le Fanu's stories which mostly appeared in The Dublin University Magazine and other periodicals, and their haunting, sinister qualities still have an enormous appeal for the modern reader.



Changeless by Gail Carriger. The second in the steampunk series starring Alexia Tarbotti, the Lady Woolsey. [She] awakens in the wee hours of the mid-afternoon to find her husband who should be decently asleep like any normal werewolf, yelling at the top of his lungs. Then he disappears--leaving her to deal with a regiment of supernatural soldiers encamped on her doorstep, a plethora of exorcised ghosts, and an angry Queen Victoria. But Alexia is armed with her trusty parasol, the latest fashions, and an arsenal of biting civility. Even when her investigations take her to Scotland, the backwater of ugle waistcoats, she is prepared: upending werewolf pack dynamics as only the soulless can.

Just Finished (click titles for reviews):
Soulless by Gail Carriger
The Divine Comedy II: Purgatory by Dante Alighieri (trans by Dorothy L Sayers)
Cat Among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie
Jane Eyre by Charolotte Bronte

Up Next:
The Divine Comedy III: Paradise by Dante (trans by Sayers & Barbara Reynolds) for The Really Old Classics Challenge & The Fall Into Reading Challenge
Castle Dor OR Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier for the Daphne Du Maurier Challenge
Miss Tonks Turns to Crime by Marion Chesney

7 comments:

Gigi Ann said...

Oh they all sound over the top to me, not in my reading comfort zone. However, I wish you Happy Reading. Thanks for the visit.

Amber at The Musings of ALMYBNENR said...

I NEED to read the Gail Carriger's series! I keep saying this everywhere, but I have the three on my Kindle and I'm just trying to get through library books before I go to it!

CMash said...

Sounds like some "heavy" books. I am in awe of you, that you can read so many classics.
CMash

Bev Hankins said...

@CMash...that's what happens when one gets into the blogging world. At least to me. I get caught up in all these challenges and then all of sudden I'm reading all these classics. I've been side-tracked from my first love: classic mysteries. That's okay...I'm working on thinking up a "Vintage Mystery" Challenge to start off the New Year.

Sugar and Snark said...

My changeless is in the mail! So excited :D

Also just finished Soulless.

shaunesay said...

I can't say that I've ever heard of Le Fanu, I wonder what else is considered a classic that I've never heard of before!

Thanks for visiting my WWW!

Mary Grace said...

Sorry for being late. :) these looks like great books. Gail Carriger, I've been seeing a lot of her books lately. Exquisite covers!

Thanks for dropping by Cladestine Sanctuary