Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Read My Review: Banned Books


Read My Review is a chance for book bloggers to share new and old reviews, related to a theme. It is hosted by A Trillian Books and this week's theme (in honor of Banned Books Week) is Banned Books.

What you need to do:

*Find one of your reviews that fits this week's theme (new or old).
*Leave your link with Mr. Linky at the bottom of A Trillian Books' post.
*Visit some of the other reviews and leave a quality comment (a couple of sentences).
*Grab the button and post about Read My Review.

I chose I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (for full review, click title). I just recently read this for The Birth Year Challenge hosted by Hotchpot Cafe. So, I read it primarily because it was published in 1969. But I also chose it because I had never read anything by Maya Angelou before and wanted to. I had no idea that it had ever appeared on the Challenged Book list when I read it. It is quite open about some sexually disturbing topics, so obviously that's why the book banning brigade have it listed (not that I agree that it should be banned--I do NOT support book-banning!).

As I wrote at the end of my review: The raw emotion and sensitivity of this book made it a difficult read, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. It is a powerful memoir of growing up black and female in the 30s and 40s.

2 comments:

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

I love this book. I really need to re-read this one. I had the pleasure of meeting and introducing Maya Angelou in the '90s at my university, and believe you me, it was quite intimidating because she is amazing. I was literally fumbling over my words, like a complete and total fool!

Bitsy Bling Books said...

I don't think I have any banned books that I reviewed on my site. However, I did just order "Operation Dark Heart." The pentagon just bought 10,000 copies to destroy. I haven't read it yet, but it will be on my TBR list.

Charlie
http://www.bitsyblingbooks.com