Thursday, September 16, 2010

Book Beginnings


Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence (thanks to Rose City Reader for inspiring this meme). I'm getting my Friday in just a little bit early....



The Divine Comedy 1: Hell
by Dante Alighieri

(trans. Dorothy L Sayers)

Midway this way of life we're bound upon,

I woke to find myself in a dark wood,

Where the right road was wholly lost and gone.






This is a big challenge for me. I am going WAY out of my comfort zone to read this for a couple of the Reading Challenges that I signed up for. The Divine Comedy has been on my TBR list for a looooong time and I'm finally going cross it off! This par
ticular edition, translated by Sayers, is broken up into three books (covering the three sections: Hell, Purgatory, and Paradise). Right now all my friends can say that I've gone to hell. But with Virgil as my guide...I'm on my way to heaven.

8 comments:

Rebecca Chapman said...

Wow, I am so impressed. This sounds extremely daunting and I don't think that I would be brave enough to try it. Good luck. It is a great way to start

Bev Hankins said...

Thanks, Becky. I think I'm gonna need that luck--although, the translation by Sayers does seem easier to read than excerpts I remember reading in the past. This is a good sign!

Suzanne said...

Oh my. I am impressed with your challenge. Good luck!

Sean Wright said...

Interesting choice. Good luck with it :)

Tales of Whimsy said...

Oooo good one!

Here is my BBF :)

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

This does sound fascinating! I like the opener...

Here's mine:

http://laurelrainsnowswonderland.wordpress.com/2010/09/17/friday-memes-56-and-book-beginnings-4/

Scoot said...

This does sound like a tough read to start, but it might be great! I hope you enjoy it!

Cat said...

Goodness - you are brave. I do like that opening though.