Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Birth Year Reading Challenge Wrap-Up


Well, I did it. I somehow managed to read 22 books written in the year I was born. I just want to thank J.G. & C.S. over at Hotchpot Cafe for sponsoring this one. Since I started blogging in April, I have been a reading challenge fool, signing up for just about every one that's come my way. And don't get me wrong, they're all good and I'm having a lot of fun. But the Birth Year Reading Challenge has been the most interesting one that I've been involved in. Who knew that books like Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut were "born" the same year as I was? I have had an absolute blast with re-reading old friends (I Sing the Body Electric by Ray Bradbury, Slaughterhouse, two by Richard Lockridge, Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie, and The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton, to name a few) as well as crossing off some long-time members of my TBR list (Travels with My Aunt by Graham Greene, The Green Man by Kingsley Amis, and Behold the Man by Michael Moore). This challenge has also taken me into territory that I might not have ventured into without the birth year incentive. I've read gritty private eyes (Dress Her in Indigo by John D MacDonald--loved; The Big Bounce by Elmore Leonard--not so much). I've read memoir (I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou--should have been on my TBR list & wasn't, but the challenge got me there anyway). I've read stark, post-apocalyptic science fiction (Damnation Alley by Roger Zelazny--used to be a SF fan, but not really into the dark post-apocalyptic stuff--great story)...and more. I'm proud to have met my goal, but I'm a little sorry it's over. It's been a wonderful time

For reviews of the books mentioned plus the rest of my Birth Year books...hop on over to the Hotchpot link (above) where J.G. has my list all nice and tidy with clickable review links.

3 comments:

J.G. said...

Yay! So glad you had fun and thanks for all the great reviews.

Ali Watts said...

Oh what a fun challenge! I'm going to have to go check this one out...
Thanks for visiting my blog, and for the book suggestion (I've added it to my TBR)

Anonymous said...

WOW!! 22 books - I am impressed. I liked this challenge, too.