Super Book Password

The third round of Super Book Password is off and running. Two clues up for the "Movie Title" Password. Click sidebar picture to find the appropriate link.


Some of Bev's Favorite Quotes...



Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Read My Review: Banned Books


Read My Review is a chance for book bloggers to share new and old reviews, related to a theme. It is hosted by A Trillian Books and this week's theme (in honor of Banned Books Week) is Banned Books.

What you need to do:

*Find one of your reviews that fits this week's theme (new or old).
*Leave your link with Mr. Linky at the bottom of A Trillian Books' post.
*Visit some of the other reviews and leave a quality comment (a couple of sentences).
*Grab the button and post about Read My Review.

I chose I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (for full review, click title). I just recently read this for The Birth Year Challenge hosted by Hotchpot Cafe. So, I read it primarily because it was published in 1969. But I also chose it because I had never read anything by Maya Angelou before and wanted to. I had no idea that it had ever appeared on the Challenged Book list when I read it. It is quite open about some sexually disturbing topics, so obviously that's why the book banning brigade have it listed (not that I agree that it should be banned--I do NOT support book-banning!).

As I wrote at the end of my review: The raw emotion and sensitivity of this book made it a difficult read, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. It is a powerful memoir of growing up black and female in the 30s and 40s.

2 comments:

Coffee and a Book Chick said...

I love this book. I really need to re-read this one. I had the pleasure of meeting and introducing Maya Angelou in the '90s at my university, and believe you me, it was quite intimidating because she is amazing. I was literally fumbling over my words, like a complete and total fool!

Charlie said...

I don't think I have any banned books that I reviewed on my site. However, I did just order "Operation Dark Heart." The pentagon just bought 10,000 copies to destroy. I haven't read it yet, but it will be on my TBR list.

Charlie
http://www.bitsyblingbooks.com