Monday, July 25, 2022

Thrones, Dominations


 Thrones, Dominations (1998) by Dorothy L. Sayers/Jill Paton Walsh (read by Ian Carmichael)

I listened to the delightful Ian Carmichael read the first of the Lord Peter Wimsey continuation novels. It is always good to Lord Peter in his capable hands. And, as I mention in my previous, more thorough review HERE, his reading of the stories make them go down ever so much better. I don't have a lot more to say about this one, but I do have a few observations.

~I still feel like there is an incredible lack of Bunter in this. Bunter has always been Peter's right-hand man when it comes to investigations and beyond his brief appearance at the cottage he's given little to do.

~I'm still very fond of the appearance of the Countess of Severn and Thames and I love the way Harriet deals with her. That scene is perfect. 

~Also very appreciative of the way Harriet comes up with a solution to the problem of Bunter's marriage. It's ideal for the circumstances and allows Bunter to have his cake and eat it too. 

~Sayers's examination of the differences between the two marriages (Harwells/Wimseys) makes for interesting reading and a good foundation for the murder.

I enjoyed this outing in the world of Lord Peter and am growing more used to Paton Walsh's handling of the characters. While it is not quite up to Sayers's standards, it does become more evident to me that she was very fond of Sayers's work and endeavored to do her best by the characters. ★★

First line: "I do not," said Monsieur Theophile Daumier, "understand the English."

Last line: Must be reading the wrong book--will ask Harriet to lend me War and Peace.

****************

Deaths  = 4 (two strangled; one drowned; one hanged)

No comments: