Sunday, December 11, 2011

Mixing It Up Challenge


Yup. I found another one. That's the danger of hosting my own challenge. When I venture out to welcome new folks to the Mt. TBR Challenge, I discover that they're taking part in all sorts of challenges that I haven't found yet. And you all know that it's rare that I meet a challenge that I don't like. Just found the Mixing it Up Challenge through Dana over at Much Madness is Diviniest Sense. The idea is to branch out and try books in different genres:
  1. Classics: A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (2/29/12)
  2. Biography: From Sawdust to Stardust: The Biography of DeForest Kelley, Star Trek's Dr. McCoy by Terry Lee Rioux (3/14/12)
  3. Cookery, Food, and Wine: The Food of North Italy by Luigi Veronelli (10/27/12)
  4. History: Chancellorsville & Gettysburg by General Abner Doubleday (4/15/12)
  5. Modern Fiction: 11/22/63 by Stephen King (2011) [10/8/12]
  6. Graphic Novels and Manga: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore (4/6/12)
  7. Crime and Mystery: Murder Has Its Points by Richard & Frances Lockridge (1/2/12)
  8. Horror: Dracula by Bram Stoker (4/25/12)
  9. Romance: Venetia by Georgette Heyer (4/7/12)
  10. Science Fiction and Fantasy: My Name Is Legion by Roger Zelazny (1/4/12)
  11. Travel: Reading Imagined London: A Tour of the World's Greatest Fictional City by Anna Quindlen (2/10/12)
  12. Poetry and Drama: The Rose Window & Other Verse from New Poems by Rainer Maria Rilke (3/22/12)
  13. Journalism and Humor: History of the Millennium (so Far) by Dave Barry (9/30/12)
  14. Science and Natural History: Proust & the Squid: The Story & Science of the Reading Brain by Maryanne Wolf (1/28/12)
  15. Children’s and Young Adult: The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (4/7/12)
  16. Social Sciences and Philosophy: Star Trek & Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant by Jason T Eberl & Kevin S Decker (eds) [12/1/12]
And of course, I’m going for the “All the Trimmings and a Cherry on Top” level of participation at one book in each genre. I've posted the books I know will work for some of the categories. Will need to think about some of the others. If you want to join us: Sign up here.

9 comments:

Debbie Rodgers said...

You're braver than I am! I went for the two layer cake - I thought I just couldn't handle some of those genres.

Have fun!

Ryan said...

The only challenge I was going to join (which I still need to do) next year was yours. Now I may need to rethink that.

Unknown said...

Oh my GOODNESS!!!!

CMash said...

LMAO

Teacher/Learner said...

I've also signed up for this one. Isn't the variety exciting? I'm also planning to read A Tale of Two Cities next year. Good luck :)

Ellie said...

Welcome to Mixing It Up Bev! I have a horrible tendency to skip over a lot of the books on my shelves sometimes, searching for an easy read. Hopefully this challenge will encourage me to stop procrastinating and attack my TBR shelves with a little more wide-ranging gusto!

Good luck - and happy new year!

Ellie said...

Wow, one month in and already three categories down! You're doing better than me - I had a horrible reading slump in January (great month for music, bad month for books, oops) so I'm hoping to get a couple more categories under my belt in February... :)

Bev Hankins said...

@Ellie: Yeah, not too bad. Although according to my reading pace of last year, I am not doing well at all. I'm down about 15 books....

Ellie said...

Hello! Just popping by to see how things are going at the quarter-way mark - and wow, you've left most of us in the dust! I've got PROUST AND THE SQUID, THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN and A TALE OF TWO CITIES on my wishlist, so I'm off to check out your reviews to see whether I need to boost any of 'em up the pile... :)