Super Book Password

The third round of Super Book Password is off and running. Two clues up for the "Movie Title" Password. Click sidebar picture to find the appropriate link.


Some of Bev's Favorite Quotes...



Friday, April 6, 2012

The Westing Game: Review


The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin is actually a re-read for me. But I didn't read it when I was young--although I wish I had. I know I would have enjoyed it. Our public library hosts a children's reading challenge every summer and during one of the campaigns my son, Kyle, won The Westing Game as his reading challenge prize. It was a little advanced for him at the time (he's not his mother's child when it came to reading)--but he loved the cover and wanted it and we decided that it was a book we could read together. So we did. And I thought at the time, "What a great book! Why didn't I find it when I was growing up?"

This year, I joined the Back to the Classics Challenge and one of the categories is to read an award-winning classic. So, I decided to go back to this Newbery Medal winner, refresh myself on the details, and write up a proper review for my blog. Here goes--

Sixteen people are chosen (apparently at random) to be allowed to rent apartments in the luxurious Sunset Towers apartment building. The assorted tenants come from all walks of life--a secretary and a judge, a doctor and an inventor, a dressmaker and two restaurant owners. And a bookie, a burglar, and a bomber....and one mistake. After living in the apartments for a while, they receive a notice that they are also all heirs of Samuel W. Westing--a man whose fortunes have been built on the Westing Paper Products Industry. But--in order to claim their inheritance, they will have to play Westing's game....a contest to find and name Westing's murderer! The heirs are divided into pairs and each pair is given a set of clues. Each set of clues is different. But two people hold all the clues--one will be named the Westing heir and the other is the reader. Can you solve the mystery before the heir does?

This is a well-written children's mystery. Lots of twists and turns and surprises. Pretty fairly clued too. I enjoyed it very much and only wish I had discovered it when I was younger--I probably would have given it four stars then. Three stars now--a very nice mystery.

5 comments:

Julie @ Read Handed said...

I randomly bought a used copy of The Westing Game from a thrift store as a teenager and really grew to love the story. Thanks for giving it its dues!

JNCL said...

I ADORE this book! I did find it when I was a child, and it was one of "those books" for me, you know? One that draws a child's mind completely in, fires the imagination for months, and subtly adds itself to what a professor of mine called "the furniture of the mind".

Susan@ Reading World said...

My kids read this in school and when I saw it I thought I should read it, but didn't get around to it. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention- I should go find it. I'm sure it's still in our house somewhere.

Sarah Reads Too Much said...

I've forgotten the camp counselor who gave me a copy of this when I was younger, but I never forgot the story! I can't wait for my son's to be old enough to appreciate it. Good choice for an Award Winner!

Bookworm1858 said...

This is my sister's favorite book-she reads it over and over again. I remember enjoying it when I gave it a read oh so many years ago. I think it is a great read for the target audience!