ATTENTION CHALLENGE PARTICIPANTS

Second Round of Super Book Password News: Debbie has correctly guessed my Historic Event! But Ryan's Password is still up for grabs. Click photo in the sidebar for links.


Some of Bev's Favorite Quotes...



Sunday, December 11, 2011

Mixing It Up Challenge


Yup. I found another one. That's the danger of hosting my own challenge. When I venture out to welcome new folks to the Mt. TBR Challenge, I discover that they're taking part in all sorts of challenges that I haven't found yet. And you all know that it's rare that I meet a challenge that I don't like. Just found the Mixing it Up Challenge through Dana over at Much Madness is Diviniest Sense. The idea is to branch out and try books in different genres:
  1. Classics: A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (2/29/12)
  2. Biography: From Sawdust to Stardust: The Biography of DeForest Kelley, Star Trek's Dr. McCoy by Terry Lee Rioux (3/14/12)
  3. Cookery, Food, and Wine: The Food of North Italy by Luigi Veronelli (10/27/12)
  4. History: Chancellorsville & Gettysburg by General Abner Doubleday (4/15/12)
  5. Modern Fiction: 11/22/63 by Stephen King (2011) [10/8/12]
  6. Graphic Novels and Manga: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore (4/6/12)
  7. Crime and Mystery: Murder Has Its Points by Richard & Frances Lockridge (1/2/12)
  8. Horror: Dracula by Bram Stoker (4/25/12)
  9. Romance: Venetia by Georgette Heyer (4/7/12)
  10. Science Fiction and Fantasy: My Name Is Legion by Roger Zelazny (1/4/12)
  11. Travel: Reading Imagined London: A Tour of the World's Greatest Fictional City by Anna Quindlen (2/10/12)
  12. Poetry and Drama: The Rose Window & Other Verse from New Poems by Rainer Maria Rilke (3/22/12)
  13. Journalism and Humor: History of the Millennium (so Far) by Dave Barry (9/30/12)
  14. Science and Natural History: Proust & the Squid: The Story & Science of the Reading Brain by Maryanne Wolf (1/28/12)
  15. Children’s and Young Adult: The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (4/7/12)
  16. Social Sciences and Philosophy: Star Trek & Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant by Jason T Eberl & Kevin S Decker (eds) [12/1/12]
And of course, I’m going for the “All the Trimmings and a Cherry on Top” level of participation at one book in each genre. I've posted the books I know will work for some of the categories. Will need to think about some of the others. If you want to join us: Sign up here.

9 comments:

Debbie Rodgers said...

You're braver than I am! I went for the two layer cake - I thought I just couldn't handle some of those genres.

Have fun!

Ryan said...

The only challenge I was going to join (which I still need to do) next year was yours. Now I may need to rethink that.

Regina Hott said...

Oh my GOODNESS!!!!

CMash said...

LMAO

Teacher/Learner said...

I've also signed up for this one. Isn't the variety exciting? I'm also planning to read A Tale of Two Cities next year. Good luck :)

Ellie said...

Welcome to Mixing It Up Bev! I have a horrible tendency to skip over a lot of the books on my shelves sometimes, searching for an easy read. Hopefully this challenge will encourage me to stop procrastinating and attack my TBR shelves with a little more wide-ranging gusto!

Good luck - and happy new year!

Ellie said...

Wow, one month in and already three categories down! You're doing better than me - I had a horrible reading slump in January (great month for music, bad month for books, oops) so I'm hoping to get a couple more categories under my belt in February... :)

Bev Hankins said...

@Ellie: Yeah, not too bad. Although according to my reading pace of last year, I am not doing well at all. I'm down about 15 books....

Ellie said...

Hello! Just popping by to see how things are going at the quarter-way mark - and wow, you've left most of us in the dust! I've got PROUST AND THE SQUID, THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN and A TALE OF TWO CITIES on my wishlist, so I'm off to check out your reviews to see whether I need to boost any of 'em up the pile... :)