Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Wish I Could Read Again for the First Time

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Top Ten Tuesday is an original bookish meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week a
new top ten topic is posted for followers to write about. This week we are considering our Top Ten Books I Could Read Again for the First Time.

There are some books that are so magical that you just read them over and over. But no matter how good they are and how re-readable they are, there is nothing like that first time. If only we could relive that initial read; meet those character for the first time; enjoy the author's prose as we did when we first encountered it. Now that would truly be magical. Here are my picks:

1. Any Lord Peter Wimsey by Dorothy L Sayers
2. The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey
3. The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
4. Ten Little Indians (aka And Then There Were None) by Agatha Christie
5. Paradise News by David Lodge
6. Brightness Falls from the Air by James Tiptree, Jr.
7. The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (or The Illustrated Man or Fahrenheit 451)
8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
9. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
10. The Complete French Poems by Rainer Maria Rilke

4 comments:

Marce said...

And Then there were None would be great to read again, do you think you will choose correct this time?

I remember the scene I would pay closer attention to, lol

Bev Hankins said...

If you're reading it for the first time (or getting to reread it as if it were the first time), I don't see how anyone could solve it. Every time I hear of someone I know reading it for the first time, I always tell them that if they can honestly tell me they solved it correctly I will take them out to dinner. Over 20 years and I've never had to pay up yet.

Jenners said...

I haven't thought of The Martian Chronicles in ages!! That was a huge book for me and my dad. We watched the TV series together too. I have such fond memories of that book.

Yvette said...

Didn't do a Ten List this week, Bev. But I still enjoyed reading your list.

I agree about HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES and DAUGHTER OF TIME and any Lord Peter. And maybe the Agatha Christie. The rest I haven't read.