Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Resistance Is Futile: Another Challenge

So....there I am minding my own business, looking at my blogroll. And, ooh, look! A post from Gina over at Hott Books. What's that you say, Gina? You've made a new friend? Oh. You've signed up for another challenge. How nice. Wait!!! Did you say CHALLENGE?! You know I can't resist challenges.




And, of course, I couldn't. I didn't. I'm signing up for The Read Your Own Library Challenge hosted by The Beauty of Eclecticism.

The rules of the challenge are few and simple, and are listed below in no particular order.

  • Read at least one book every month that you've owned for 6 months or more and have never read previously, then write us a post about it. Please write at least a minimal review (no spoilers!), and any interesting anecdotes you have about how you came to own the book in the first place are always appreciated.
  • The linky will open on her blog at 12:00 a.m. (US Pacific) on the 5th day of every month, and will remain open until 12:00 a.m. on the 8th. Simply add your text link TO THE RELEVANT POST ONLY to the linky list, place the Challenge badge on your site, and try and visit as many of the others' links as possible. (Html code for the Challenge Badge can be found in the right sidebar.) Please leave comments wherever you visit--silent hovering depresses her.
  • Choose from the three possibilities the level of backloggedness from which you suffer, and follow the guidelines accordingly. Please indicate your level in each Library Challenge post.
I am going for the simplest level:

Running Behind--You need to catch up on your reading a bit, and feel this challenge would be a good motivator to do so. You are committing to read one book per month that fits the requirement, and nothing else.

--mainly because there is no way on earth I can possibly agree to not buy more books (which the other levels require). It's just not going to happen.

And per the first post requirements, I am declaring my first Challenge Book to be:

A Question of Proof by Nicholas Blake. This book in the Nigel Strangeways mystery series takes Nigel to a boys' prep school. He is called in to find murderer who has disrupted the normal chaos of Sudley Hall. And the police suspect his friend Michael Evans, one of the teachers, who just happens to be in love with the headmaster's wife. I picked this book up back in March 2011 (just a little over the 6 month requirement) from our Friends of the Library Used Bookstore. I just had to have it because it has an academic setting and I'm a sucker for what I call academic mysteries. Unfortunately, the TBR is so huge that I haven't read books that I've had for years...let alone only 6 months or so. Next time I'll pick a book that's been hanging out in the pile a lot longer.


Books Read:
A Question of Proof by Nicholas Blake
Dragons of Light by Orson Scott Card (ed)
That Hideous Strength by C. S. Lewis


7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, dear, I've just discovered a hidden danger in my own reading challenge--after hearing your description, now I know of another book I want to read! Thank goodness for Goodreads, and their "to read" shelf.
Jennifer

Bev Hankins said...

That is a problem. :-) but I personally think it's a good problem to have.

Unknown said...

THANK YOU!!! I don't know when I've laughed so very hard!!
But...
we really need some help, dear!!

Cat said...

Thanks for the headsup - I've just begun a personal challenge to read my own books so a challenge like this is exactly what I need.

Bev Hankins said...

@Gina: You're welcome. The entertainment committee...that's me. I think it's too late for us to get help....

@Cat: No problem. Jump on in, the water's fine. And see if you can find about 15 other challenges so Gina and I won't feel like we're overdoing it.

Suzanne said...

This sounds like a great challenge. Thanks for posting about it.

Caren Kristine said...

The library's my problem. I go to just take back my books and end up with 10 more!

Good luck with the challenge