Monday, October 17, 2011

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a bookish meme hosted by Book Journey. It's where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week. It's a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list. So hop on over via the link above and join in...and leave a comment here so I can check out what you are reading

Books Read (click on titles for review):
The Shortest Way to Hades by Sarah Caudwell
Haunted Ground by Erin Hart

Currently Reading:
Hide & Seek by Wilkie Collins: At the centre of the story, a secret waits to be revealed. Why should the apparently respectable painter Valentine Blyth refuse to account for the presence in his household of the beautiful girl known as Madonna? It is not until his young friend Zack Thorpe, in rebellion against his repressive father, gets into bad company and meets a mystery stranger that the secret of Madonna can be unravelled. [Still making my way through this one....]

A Coffin for Dimitrios by Eric Ambler:
A chance encounter with a Turkish colonel with a penchant for British crime novels leads mystery writer Charles Latimer into a world of sinister political and criminal maneuvers throughout the Balkans in the years between the world wars. Hoping that the career of the notorious Dimitrios, whose body has been identified in an Istanbul morgue, will inspire a plot for his next novel, Latimer soon finds himself caught up in a shadowy web of assassination, espionage, drugs, and treachery.


Books that spark my interest:
The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (Dueling Monsters Challenge)
The Call of Cthulhu by H. P. Lovecraft (Dueling Monsters Challenge)
To Join the Lost by Seth Steinzor (Book Tour review book)
Lucky Jim by Kinglsey Amis (for several challenges)
Savage Beauty: The Life of Edna St. Vincent Millay by Nancy Milford (for several challenges)
Let's All Kill Constance by Ray Bradbury (for fun)
Blood Atonement by Dan Waddell (for fun)

8 comments:

Jen at Introverted Reader said...

Ooh, I had forgotten about the Dueling Monsters Challenge. I'll have to go check it out!

I don't think my imagination is vivid enough for "The Call of Cthulu." It didn't scare me the way I expected it to, although some of Lovecraft's other stories have given me a good case of the heebie-jeebies! Enjoy your week!

JLS Hall said...

All those books spark my interest! A Coffin for Dimitrios is one of those books I've always meant to read. Think I've got a copy somewhere -- I'll have to see if I can find it. Loved Lucky Jim, but it's been years and years since I read it.

Happy reading this week!

Cat said...

I remember Eric Ambler from a few years back but don't think I read this one - sounds good.

Have a great week!

Yvonne said...

Enjoy your books! Have a great week!

Amy said...

Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

Yvette said...

I've always meant to read THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU. One of these days...

I did read A COFFIN FOR DIMITRIOS and loved it. In fact, it's one of the best books I read this year.

Bev Hankins said...

Yvette: You're probably not gonna like my review of Dimitrios then... It's okay. But did not knock my socks off. Still gathering my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for including a brief synopsis of the books you're reading. I don't always take the time to click the links, but I will read about them if they're right in front of me :)