Saturday, July 23, 2011

Theme Thursday: Smile


Hosted by Reading Between the Pages

Rules
*A theme will be posted each week on Thursday
*Select a conversation/snippet/sentence from your current book that features the theme
*Post it and don't forget to mention the author and title of the book
*Event is open for the whole week
*Link back to Reading Between the Pages
This week's theme is SMILE (laugh, grin, giggle, guffaw, etc).
Here's mine from No Body by Nancy Pickard (p. 2):
"It has happened, Faye, I said in mournful tones. "I knew it would someday. Leave a man alone in a room with tax forms for too many years, and eventually he cracks up. A man can take a lot, you know, prisoners of war have proved it time and again...torture, deprivation, loneliness. But the tax forms of the United States government are beyond the capacity of a sane man to behold and withstand, and every time our representatives, in their wisdom, 'improve' and 'shorten' the damn things, accountants all over the country get that much closer to the precipice that Marv here has obviously just plunged over."
"Coffee, Marvin?" Faye inquired with false and humorous sympathy. "Aspirin?"
"Whiskey?" I suggested more usefully.
His grin grew even more gleeful, and he rubbed his hands together as if he were rolling dice. I began to wonder if my normally sane and sober accountant was adding with all his numbers.

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

Tax forms definitely deserve whiskey! LOL Great choice!

Megan said...

Great find! That's only page two?!? Sounds very interesting! I am now going to add this series to my ever growing tbr list! Thanks for sharing! I am a *NEW* GFC follower. Here is mine for this week if you would like to check it out - Theme Thursday (July 21).

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Wow, that's a good one! I hate tax time and it sends me into a tizzy....had never thought of whiskey, but that's an idea! LOL

Thanks for stopping by my blog.