Therapy by David Lodge is basically one middle-aged man's journey through a mid-life crisis. As far anyone else can see Laurence "Tubby" Passmore has it all. The good life. He may be almost bald and shaped like a pear, but he writes for a TV sitcom that keeps the money "rolling in like [he's] discovered oil in the backyard." He's got a beautiful house in Rummidge, the car of his dreams, a flat in London, a sexy wife with a healthy libido, and a platonic mistress with whom he can discuss anything and everything. So what's wrong? He Doesn't Know. (This becomes the little theme chant for the book.)Sunday, July 3, 2011
Therapy: Review
Therapy by David Lodge is basically one middle-aged man's journey through a mid-life crisis. As far anyone else can see Laurence "Tubby" Passmore has it all. The good life. He may be almost bald and shaped like a pear, but he writes for a TV sitcom that keeps the money "rolling in like [he's] discovered oil in the backyard." He's got a beautiful house in Rummidge, the car of his dreams, a flat in London, a sexy wife with a healthy libido, and a platonic mistress with whom he can discuss anything and everything. So what's wrong? He Doesn't Know. (This becomes the little theme chant for the book.)
Labels:
100 Plus,
Adam's TBR Challenge,
Off the Shelf,
Outdo Yourself
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















2 comments:
Interesting to read about Lodge, Bev. We must be on the same wavelength - why doesn't that surprise me?
I have Lodge's book, THE BRITIISH MUSEUM IS FALLING DOWN (I think that's the title - without getting up to look) waiting to be read.
Forgot where I saw the recommendation of Lodge's work. Possibly over at STUCK IN A BOOK, not sure.
Anyway, here we are.
Even if the book you've read is not Lodge at his best, I still enjoyed reading your review. :)
The British Museum is a good one too--I don't like it quite as much as the three I mentioned, but it's WAY better than Therapy!
Post a Comment