Thursday, April 21, 2022

Have His Carcase


 Have His Carcase (1932) by Dorothy L. Sayer; read by Ian Carmichael 

As I have mentioned many times, the Lord Peter mysteries are comfort reads for me. I have read them numerous times and enjoy them thoroughly each time. I not only enjoy reading them, I thoroughly enjoy listening to them (when they are well read) and I love listening to Ian Carmichael read them. When I've had a long day at work, it's delightful to just listen to Lord Peter and Bunter and all the assorted characters unravel a mystery. 

There is so much wit and humor throughout that it really is a comfortable sort of book to sink into. Especially since this is the umpteenth reread and I really didn't have to use up brain power trying to follow all that "decipher the code" business. That would be one of my quibbles with this particular story--way too much time spent on the intricate methods of deciphering this particular cipher. I just let Carmichael's voice wash over me and ignored all the little details. I think the filmed version with Edward Petherbridge and Harriet Walter does an excellent job of condensing this scene down--although, it may make it seem a little too easy.

My favorite bits are when Peter finally gets to dance with Harriet, their stroll along the beach looking for clues, and when she thinks she may have been kissed by a murderer. I also like the wrap-up at the end when Harriet begins offering up various other fictional detectives (Roger Sheringham, Dr. Thorndyke, etc) and their methods as possible ways to find the solution. Exciting stuff all around and an excellent read. Four stars.

First Lines: The best remedy for a bruised heart is not, as so many people think, repose upon a manly bosom. Much more efficacious are honest work, physical activity, and the sudden acquisition of wealth. 

Last line: I always did hate watering places! 

*************

Deaths = one throat cut 

No comments: