Thursday, May 19, 2011

Booking Through Thursday: Age Inappropriate

This week Booking Through Thursday wants to know: (in contrast to last week's theme) What do you think about censoring books BECAUSE of their intended age? Say, books too old for your kids to read?

I'm not a fan of censorship. I would never have told my son that he couldn't read something--based on age or content. Of course, I didn't have much to worry about with him...getting him interested in reading was a battle in and of itself. Once he got hooked (thanks to Harry Potter and Vampyrates (I think I spelled that right), I was just pleased that he was reading. And then I just made sure I was aware of what he was reading and made sure he knew he could talk to me about anything he didn't understand. Was I thrilled about the vampire pirates and the horror tendencies of his reading? Not particularly. But I remember freaking my mom out with all those spine-tingling Alfred Hitchcock collections (and she thought those were scary....).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish my love of reading would have rubbed off onto my kids. None of them read much.

Here's Mine

Sally said...

Great answer. I am not a censorship fan either and I really appreciate the fact that my parents never stopped me from reading anything I wanted to.
Sally.
http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday-18.html

Anonymous said...

Haha, I would readny anything my kids would want to read before them! Then I'd have a talk with them about it if it's not appropriate. I thinbk that's the best way to go!

Nat @ Reading Romances
Small Blogs, Big Giveaways

Col (Col Reads) said...

I'm totally with you. My brother wouldn't read anything but sports biographies. My mother shrugged her shoulders and said, "As long as he's reading." My aunt let her reading-averse son read whatever would keep him interested. It turned out to be Goosebumps books. She absolutely hated them, but she kept quiet and let him eat them up. My brother is a physician, and my cousin is in medical school, and they both still read for pleasure!

Anonymous said...

I've never told my daughter no, she couldn't read a certain book, but she's never picked up anything totally inappropriate, either.