Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Booking Through Thursday: Age Appropriate

This week Booking Through Thursday wants to know: Do you read books "meant for other age groups"? Did you read adult books as a child? Young Adult books or picture books now that you're an adult? Or do you pretty much stick to books written for people your age?

When I was growing up, I was always reading out of my age group. I was reading at high school and college level when I was in elementary. And once I discovered the adult section of the library, I pretty much read whatever I wanted no matter what age group it was meant for. Now that I'm an adult, I stick more to "age appropriate" literature. I'm not much into the teenage angst of young adult literature--but I have read some recently and have also read a few children's books for a reading challenge here and there.

And one side note: I did enjoy reading children's books with my son when he was younger. I really loved discovering Tin Tin, Waldo, and Captain Pugwash with him.


Well...Looky what just showed up in my draft file....My missing post. Now if the missing comments would show up as well.

4 comments:

jlshall said...

I do read a lot of books aimed at young readers, but I tend to stay away from "Young Adult" books. Actually, I didn't even like YA lit when I was a teen!

Hope your recovery keeps going well.

Alison Can Read said...

I read Judy Blume's books for teens like Forever, Deenie, Tiger Eyes, etc when I was 9 and 10 years old. All the sexual stuff completley went over my head. I re-read Deenie last fall and was shocked at how blatant some of the content was. I read Deenie probably a dozen times and never even noticed it. I think kids generally only recognize what they're ready to know. The rest just gets bypassed - or at least it did for me.

llevinso said...

I mostly read in my own age group now as well. But I have found a few YA books that I like, but they don’t deal with the normal teenage angsty crap.

Cindy Swanson said...

Enjoyed your thoughts, Bev! Here's my BTT post (the first time I've participated in this in literally years!):

Cindy's Book Club