Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Six Books Six Months


I found this fun idea book list idea through Cat at Tell Me A Story.  It originated at The Book Jotter - who is calling for a summary of the books read during the first six months of 2012 by choosing six books for six different categories.  I can't resist lists, especially those that are book- or reading-related, so here we go.  I used some categories from The Book Jotter and some from Cat and then a couple of my own.  Please feel free to join in and visit Cat and The Book Jotter to see what they've been up to in the past six months as well.

Categories chosen to suit my reading:


Six Authors Who Were New to Me
Terry Pratchett
Carol Kendall
Anna Quindlen
Bernadette Pajer
Sarah Stewart Taylor
Émile Gaboriau 

Six Authors Who Are Old Friends
John Dickson Carr
Gail Carriger
Rex Stout
Frances & Richard Lockridge
Mary Roberts Rinehart
Dan Simmons

Six Non-US/Non-British Authors (I'm mainly a Brit-lit girl, so I rarely venture outside of these categories) 
Onon no Komachi & Izumi Shikibu (Japanese)
Jules Verne (French) 
Gaston Leroux (French)
Rainer Maria Rilke (born in Prague; died in Switzerland)
Jutta Profijit (German)
Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö (Swedish)

Six Cool Classics
The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells 
The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett      
Dracula by Bram Stoker 
File No. 113 by Émile Gaboriau

Six Vintage Mysteries to Die For
The Problem of the Green Capsule by John Dickson Carr
The Yellow Room by Mary Roberts Rinehart
Champagne for One by Rex Stout 
The Murder in the Stork Club by Vera Caspary
The So Blue Marble by Dorothy B. Hughes
Swan Song by Edmund Crispin

Six From the Non-Fiction Shelf
Proust & The Squid: The Story & Science of the Reading Brain by Maryanne Wolf
Imagined London: A Tour of the World's Greatest Fictional City by Anna Quindlen  
Satan's Circus: Murder, Vice, Police Corruption, & New York's Trial of the Century by Mike Dash
Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh
From Sawdust to Stardust: The Biography of DeForest Kelley, Star Trek's Dr. McCoy by Terry Lee Rioux
Standford White: Letters to His Family by Claire Nicholas White, ed

  

7 comments:

Book Dragon said...

great idea off to work on mine

Margaret @ BooksPlease said...

Interesting list - I've read some, but not others. You've made me want to read From Sawdust to Stardust - I din't know about that book, but as a Star Trek fan it sounds great. Recently William Shatner was on Have I Got News for You (a BBC panel show) and he was hilarious - it was wonderful.

Gina @ Hott Books said...

This one looks like fun!! I think I need to stay in my comfort zone this time around though ;)

Cat said...

Fun reading everyone else's lists and it makes my TBR grow. The Anna Quindlen sounds interesting.

Her Royal Orangeness said...

So many authors I've never heard of...will have to look them up! (Good for you for venturing into DiscWorld...I'm intimidated by the massive number of books in the series.)

TracyK said...

I saw that you were doing the 6 x 6 also and it is very interesting... and varied. I have got to read Frances & Richard Lockridge again.

Here is my <a href="http://bitterteaandmystery.blogspot.com/2012/07/six-month-summary-july-2012.html”>Six months summary</a>

TracyK said...

Well, I tried. I am just not having luck embedding links lately. I can't even see what is wrong with it this time. And I am theoretically a techie.