Saturday, July 7, 2012

Saturday Snapshot: Back From Vacation

Saturday Snapshot is a meme hosted by Alyce at At Home with Books. All you have to do is "post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken and then leave a direct link to your post in the Mr. Linky on [her] blog. Photos can be old or new, and be of anything as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give is up to you." All she asks is that you don't just post random photos that you find online. (Click pictures for close-up).

I missed two weeks worth of Saturday Snapshot due to vacation and recovery from same.  Those who follow the blog will know that the hubby and I took off on a road trip along the classic Route 66.  We followed it all the way to Stroud, Oklahoma and then turned around for home.  Here are a few highlights from the trip:

It was always a reassuring sight to see this sign...it meant we were still on target.

Garage area and a classic car at the Wagon Wheel Motel, a vintage Route 66 stop in Cuba, MO.  Holds the distinction of being the oldest continuously open motel on the Route.  We stayed there our first night out.

One of many murals throughout the town of Cuba.  Known as "Mural City."  This one depicts a scene from the Civil War.

Fairly new-built, classic-look Sinclair station (non-working) in Paris Springs, MO.  Lots of vintage cars and Route 66 memorabilia.

The oldest section of Route 66 that we traveled--pre-1937. Paved in 1922, but little of the asphalt remains.  This was the longest section of asphalt we saw--the rest was gravel on a concrete base.



Happy Burger, a cute little diner that's been on Route 66 for over 50 years.  Best tater tots ever!

24 comments:

Nise' said...

Glad you back and had a great time. I remember those Sinclair stations traveling as a kid!

Laura BurgandyIce said...

Oh, that's the sort of road trip we'd love!!! Great pictures!

Arti said...

Nice shots. Give me a feel of what it's like back in the old days.

Alyce said...

That looks like so much fun! I've never been on Route 66

Mattie said...

What a fun road trip!

Paulita said...

What a great trip to take. Had you planned it for years, just waiting for the right time? Here's Mine

Wrighty said...

I've never been on Route 66 either. It sounds, and looks, like a wonderful trip! Just get in the car and go! And of course it's always good to return home too. Welcome back and thanks for sharing! :)

Leslie (Under My Apple Tree) said...

What fun! I've only been down the first part where it begins in Chicago.

Sim Carter said...

I've only been on Route 66 in California. That looks like a great trip!

Christine Harding said...

Had to look it up - I only know the song! I didn't realise it was such a long road, running through so many states, or that it was so old. Thanks for letting me travel a section of it with you! My Snapshots are at http://chriscross-thebooktrunk.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/parisian-pictures-take-two.html

bermudaonion said...

My husband dreams of traveling Route 66 - how fun that you got to do it!

Trish said...

I love road trips! That one looks like it would be a lot of fun :)

Melissa O. said...

Nice pics! Road trips are fun :-) I've never been on Route 66!

Carolyn Wilker said...

Our trips in the US have been limited mostly to I-75 on the way to and from Indianna, to Florida, but then also across the southern states and up the west coast back to Canada. Good to see your pictures.

Lmkazmierczak said...

Welcome back....It took a week to get through my US mail and emails and catch up on my blogs and just tackling laundry....nice to go but nice to get back♫♪

Louise said...

How fun. THanks for sharing your pictures.

Louise said...

How fun. THanks for sharing your pictures.

Kaye said...

My cousin and her friend drove this route when they were young. I've never been on it so happy to see your photos.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Route 66 is a great reminder of vintage days...when I was in Arizona a few years ago, I visited some vintage memorabilia along Route 66 in Winslow. Took a photo of the Route 66 sign, too.

Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Meaghan said...

I have always thought about going down route 66 at some point too. It looks like you guys had a great time.

Bev Hankins said...

@Laurel-Rain: Did you "stand on a corner in Winslow Arizona"? :-)

Yvette said...

I'm hearing the old Route 66 theme music in my head as I read your post, Bev. Isn't it amazing the things that stay in our heads? Looks like you guys had a fun time. Welcome back!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

What fun photos.

Eugenia O'Neal said...

Amazing the great food you can find in unexpected places during a road trip!

Great pix!