Monday, March 14, 2011

Crime Fiction Alphabet: Letter J


Kerrie over at Mysteries in Paradise sponsors The Alphabet in Crime Fiction community meme. Your post MUST be related to the first letter of the book's title, the first letter of the author's first name or the first letter of the author's surname. You can write a book review or a bio of an author so long as it fits the rules somehow. (It's okay too to skip a week.) Linkt your post for the week back to Kerrie's site.


This week features the letter J.


J is for Jerusalem Inn by Martha Grimes. It could also be for Richard Jury, Grimes' star detective in her long-running mystery series which takes its titles from the names of British pubs. Jerusalem Inn is another title sitting on my TBR list for the year (and it's been sitting on the TBR shelves longer than that)--slated for several of the challenges I've signed up for; it will be read. It's just a matter of when.

This particular Jury novel is set at Christmas and it begins with bad tidings for both Jury and his civilian sidekick, Melrose Plant. From the back of the book: The woman in the snow-covered graveyard is beautiful and sensual--just what Richard Jury needs to warm up a dreary Newcastle Christmas. But the next time Jury sees her, she is dead. Melrose Plant doesn't fare much better. Snowbound at a stately mansion with a group of artists, critics, and idle-but-titled rich, he, too, encounters a lovely lady--by stumbling over her corpse. All that connect the two yuletide murders is a remote country inn where holiday cheer turns to fear....


I anticipate another terrific detective story from one of the late 20th & 21st century's best mystery writers. She has yet to disappoint me with a Richard Jury story. (We won't talk about The End of the Pier....). The cast of characters she has surrounded Jury with are a delight and her mysteries always satisfy. I expect no less from Jerusalem Inn.


3 comments:

Kerrie said...

Thanks for this contribution to this week's CFA Bev. Martha Grimes is an author I have never really taken to, but occasionally dabble in. Perhaps I need to try this one for a Christmas read

Yvette said...

I LOVE THIS SERIES!!! Oh Bev, it's so great to meet someone who likes Grimes. There aren't many of us on the blogs. And yet, she continues to be a best seller. SOMEONE is appreciating her. I currently have her latest Emma Graham book here, FADEAWAY GIRL. I'll probably be reading it next up.

I am mad about Richard Jury! And Melrose. I finally figured out why he doesn't willingly accept the title!

My favorite book of the series is THE OLD SILENT. Have you read that one?

Carol E Wyer said...

Ooh Thank you. I think I might have to go to the bookshop tomorrow and buy this. You can never have too many good books to read.
Catching up on my favourite blogs - being away is great but I missed my 'blogworld' terribly. Thank you for staying in touch and visiting me while I was away.
Now what have I missed here...off to check up on your past posts and maybe find something else I'll fancy reading. :)