Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This week we're being asked to list our Top Ten Authors Who Deserve More Attention.

I've tried to be very good and not give you a whole list of mystery authors ('cause I could). I've mixed it up a bit...

Mystery Authors Who Could Use Some More Love1. Michael Innes: wonderfully witty, with unusual plots, sometimes a little off-the-wall--but always a good read!
2. Elizabeth Daly: touted as one of Agatha Christie's favorite mystery authors, she has written a good line of cozy mysteries featuring book-expert Henry Gamadge.
3. Edmund Crispin: Another witty British author. Worth it just to meet his amateur detective, Gervase Fen.
4. Amanda Cross: author of one of my favorite academic mysteries. Kate Fansler, professor and amateur detective, is witty, smart and someone I wish I could have as a friend.
5. Kerry Greenwood: Her Phryne Fisher series is wonderful. I've seen her name cropping up more and more....but she can stand to be mentioned more often.

Everyone Else
6. James Tiptree, Jr. (aka Alice B Sheldon): one of the best science fiction writers. A woman who made her way in what was viewed as a man's genre for a very long time.
7. David Lodge: terrific British wit and excellent academic satire
8. Julian Barnes: Another terrific British author (I have a weakness for those...)
9. Katherine Anne Porter: Her short stories are particularly good. One of my few American favorites.
10. Christina Rossetti: a poet who deserves more recognition...she wrote more than just "Goblin Market"


Bonus: Richard Nash: If you're interested in 18th Century British scholarship, then he's your man. One of the most under-rated 18th C scholars I know. I've read a bit of scholarly work and he actually tells you things with such wit that you don't realize you're learning something. Not only is he a great scholar, he's my friend...so I had to put in a plug for him. (And, no, he didn't ask me to.....)

10 comments:

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I confess that I am not familiar with your choices... but then that is the point of this list...to let others know about fabulous authors who don't get the love they deserve.

-Anne

J F Norris said...

Daly and Crispin - two of my faves! Innes is still an acquired taste for me. The Daffodil Affair - insanely bizarre. I loved every bit of it. The only one I've managed to get through. Tried Lament for a Maker twice and both times I fell asleep! I keep looking for Appleby's End since I've read multiple reviews on all these blogs and it seems like I'd really enjoy that one. Finally resorted to the Chicago Public Library and they indeed have a copy. It's reserved now.

Tiptree is one of those writers I've been toying with getting to know. I came across her biography on a clearance rack once in a bookstore here and flipped through it. Fascinating woman. Which book do you recommend as an intro to her work?

Birdie said...

*snort*
I love your division into mystery writers and everyone else hehehehe.

I'm saving up for some Felony and Mayhem versions of Crispin, 'cause I totally agree with you there. Also, definitely a fan of David Lodge--you might have guessed that I have a thing for Brit wit too ;)

Shamefully, I've never read anything of Nash's. I plead that it's out of my time period, but I really should at least take a gander.

Red said...

Thanks for the mystery author recommendations! I think I need to check out some Amanda Cross

Yvette said...

Well, Bev, you know I love Innes and Crispin. (I did an Innes mini-binge just recently) Daly I found a bit hard going but I'm willing to give her another chance. Great choices.
I have a book by David Lodge here that I plan on reading: THE BRITISH MUSEUM IS FALLING DOWN. I think I'm going to like his work. I'm going to give Julian Barnes a try one of these days.
I love Christina Rossetti, she's one of my favorite poets. I've never heard of Nash, but then I don't do much scholarly reading...maybe I'll take a look. I'm always on the lookout for interesting writing no matter what the source.

Teacher/Learner said...

I loved Flaubert's Parrot by Julian Barnes. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has heard of him :)

Bev Hankins said...

@John: I love, love, love Brightness Falls from the Air. If you'd rather start with short stories, then Ten Thousand Light Years from Home.

@Birdie: Richard has a footnote on the cannibals in Robinson Crusoe that would make the book for me...even without humorous bits thrown in throughout.

@Yvette: The British Museum is good, but not my favorite. If you don't like it, you might try Paradise News (that's the one I like best).

@Teacher/Learner: Flaubert's Parrot is on the docket for a couple of my challenges. I'm looking forward to it.

J F Norris said...

I'll add that anyone who loves Sherlock Holmes should read Julian Barnes' treatment of the Conan Doyle episode where the author himself helped the police in a case that echoed "Silver Blaze." The novel is called ARTHUR AND GEORGE. Excellent!

BTW - I like Barnes' mainstream novels as well.

Bev Hankins said...

Um, John, of all the Julian Barnes I've read....I like Arthur and George the least. Sorry. I love Holmes. And I've read other accounts of the case that Arthur and George is about that I liked better. I like Barnes much better in his shorter works.

Carol said...

Additional authors duly noted on TBR list. Now up to 1,735. Stop, please stop! And that means you, Bev, and John, and Yvette, and everbody else sharing their favorite authors.