Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Bookish Pet Peeves


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This week we're being asked to list our Top Ten Bookish Pet Peeves.

1. People who dog-ear books that do not belong to them. (All my friends understand that I have a murderous streak when it comes to the maltreatment of my books....). Finding it in library books drives me nearly as crazy....not quite, but nearly.
2. Ditto for people who highlight in books that do not belong to them. Did you pay for that library book? (Not counting tax money support here.) Didn't think so. Take notes--that's what pen & paper are for. Or buy your own copy...then you can refer to your highlighting whenever you want.
3. Stores that slap stickers all over the books (particularly used book stores that use the kind that apparently have super-glue on them). I can't stand having stickers on my books.
4. In the same vein...bookstores and libraries who stick stickers and/or their library coding system directly over the synopsis. How the heck am I am supposed to find out if this book really needs to come home with me if I can't figure out what it's about?
5. BUT I don't want book blurbs that TELL ALL. It's really annoying when the book blurbs/synopses give away the whole plot.
6. Book cover art that has nothing to do with the story. When there is a blond, blue-eyed damsel in distress on the cover and none to be found in the book or a bug-eyed monster on that science fiction novel just because the artist was told it was Sci-Fi, this tells me that the artist has no clue what the story was about.
7. Speaking of covers...neon covered books of any sort. Sorry, Janet Evanovich--but it's unlikely that I will ever read one of your books. They make my eyes hurt.
8. People who say, "I don't see how you can read that many books" when standing behind me in the checkout line (bookstore or library, doesn't matter). What do they care?
9. Stream of consciousness writing (so with What Red Read on this one). Something in me just wants to scream: "It's a book! It's supposed to have a plot!"
10. Children in danger/murdered/tortured etc. I'm not sure that this is a pet peeve....but it's something I cannot read unless it's a Golden Age type mystery that leaves out all the details of the crime. I just can't take details like that about children.

13 comments:

Red said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't do the steam of consciousness thing.

I don't understand people who highlight in books that aren't theirs. Why?? You can't even enjoy the highlighting cos you're giving the books back. Inconsiderate

Lesley said...

I agree with not being able to read about children being hurt. I found reading The Hunger Games disturbing for that very reason and I'm not sure I'll ever understand why it is such a hit. Kids killing kids? Not something I want to read about. Ever. Good list. I also agree about those people who are nosey standing in line who feel the need to question your book buying/borrowing habits!

Yvette said...

I mentioned 'stream of consciousness' too. HATE IT! I'd like a story to have a beginning, a middle and an end. Is that asking too much?

Neon covers are hideous. But I must have my Stephanie Plums to read. Ha!

I hate synopsis that tell everything about the book. I don't like reviews that do this either.

Great list.

Sharon said...

I like your list! I have to agree with you, very much so, your 310. I just hate that. Neon book covers do nothing for me, and I'll avoid them unless it is a Stephanei Plum book...just can't help it they always make me laugh.

Suzanne said...

Putting stickers over the book's description -- oh yeah.

I think I would probably murder someone who dog-eared a book I loaned to them as well. But then I'm pretty selective about whom I loan books to....

Jennifer said...

Agree, agree, AGREE. I don't know how I didn't include dog-earing on my list.

LBC said...

I'm just going to echo Red here that highlighting a library book, makes absolutely no sense. Even when I used books that weren't mine for research, I would photocopy important passages.

Here is my list: http://hawthornescarlet.blogspot.com/2011/03/top-ten-tuesday-i-hate-that.html

Marce said...

The dog earring, I totally agree with you, are they crazy, I used to stop breathing, now only 2 people I trust to lend books to that I want back, why is it so hard to use a bookmark, a receipt, a piece of paper any thing just DON'T BEND THE PAGE, ugggh :-)

Also, all those that work with books and put the 'stickers' on the synopsis just need to be fired.

Great list

Kathy said...

Great list!
I agree with it all! I guess neon covers are another reason I don't read Evanovich.
Thanks for stopping by :D

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

You asked me what I was reading when I referred to a book that had no quotation marks. I am reading the book: The Evidence of Unseen Things by Wiggins. It would be a fabulous book if it wasn't so darn hard to read!

I hadn't thought of it before but there sure are a lot of neon book covers right now!

Birdie said...

Book cover art that has nothing to do with the story.

Oh yes, I'm with you on this one! It's really annoying when you pick up a book that looks like a Victorian mystery and it's really an excuse for some plotless romance. And don't EVEN get me started on the Twilight-inspired covers of classics

danya said...

Oh yes, so totally with you on #9! By and large I really can't stand stream-of-consciousness writing. We don't need to know every single thought the protagonist is having and it just weighs the whole story down!

Martha@Hey, I want to read that said...

We must be kindred spirits because this could be my list. I just don't get stream of consciousness lit. Nothing about it works for me and I really can't enjoy stories with children in danger or where young children have to care for their drug addicted or mentally ill parents. And don't get me started on people who dog ear my books. I get practically apoplectic about it. Great list.