Monday, February 21, 2011

1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up

Birdie over at Birdie's Nest posted about another challenge based on the 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up list. Now, amazing as it may seem, I am NOT going to sign up for this challenge. But I was interested to see how many of these books I had read. Here we go:

1. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Jules Verne)
2. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain)
3. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Mark Twain)
4. Aesop's Fables (Aesop)
5. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Lewis Carroll)
6. Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret (Judy Blume)
7. Around the World in 80 Days (Jules Verne)
8. Bedtime for Frances () [read to my son]
9. The Berenstain Bears (Stan & Jan Berenstain) [read to my son]
10. The Blue Fairy Book (Andrew Lang)
11. The Bobbsey Twins (Lauren Hope)
12. Caps for Sale (Esphyr Slobodkina) [read to my son]
13. Captain Pugwash (John Ryan) [read to my son]
14. The Cat in the Hat (Dr. Seuss)
15. The Catcher in the Rye (J. D. Salinger)
16. Charlotte's Web (E. B. White)
17. A Child's Garden of Verses (Robert Louis Stevenson)
18. A Christmas Carol (Charles Dickens)
19. Clifford the Big Red Dog (Norman Birdwell)
20. Corduroy (Don Freeman) [read to my son]
21. The Cricket in Times Square (George Seldon)
22. Curious George (Margaret Rey)
23. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time (Mark Haddon)
24. Eloise (Kay Thomspon) [read to my son]
25. Emil & the Detectives (Erich Kastner)
26. Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury)
27. Frog & Toad Are Friends (Arnold Lobel) [read to my son]
28. Go dog Go (P. D. Eastman) [read to my son]
29. Good Dog Carl (Alexandra Day) [read to my son]
30. Goodnight Moon (Margaret Wise Brown) [read to my son]
31. Hardy Boys #1 The Tower Treasure (Franklin W Dixon)
32. Harold & the Purple Crayon (Crocket Johnson) [read to my son]
33. Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone (J. K. Rowling)
34. Harry the Dirty Dog (Gene Zion)
35. The Hobbit (J. R. R. Tolkien)
36. The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)
37. If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (Laura Numeroff) [read to my son]
38. The Incredible Journey (Sheila Bainford)
39. Journey to the Center of the Earth (Jules Verne)
40. The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis)
41. The Little House in the Big Wood (Laura Ingalls Wilder)
42. The Little House on the Prairie (Laura Ingalls Wilder)
43. The Little Prince (Antoine De Saint Exupery)
44. Little Toot (Hardie Gramatky)
45. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
46. The Little Mermaid (Hans Christian Andersen)
47. Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
48. Make Way for Ducklings (Robert McCloskey) [read to my son]
49. Mike Mulligan (Virginia Lee Burton) [read to my son]
50. Miss Nelson Is Missing (Harry Allard)
51. The Mouse & the Motorcycle (Beverly Cleary) [read to my son]
52. Mr. Popper's Penguins (Richard Atwater) [read to my son]
53. Mrs. Frisby & the Rats of NIMH (Robert O'Brien)
54. My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes (Eve Sutton)
55. Now We Are Six (A. A. Milne)
56. Oh the Places You'll Go (Dr. Seuss)
57. Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats (T. S. Eliot)
58. The Outsiders (S. E. Hinton)
59. Peanuts (Charles Schulz)
60. The Phantom Tollbooth (Norton Juster)
61. The Pied Piper of Hamlin (Robert Browning)
62. Pippi Longstocking (Astrid Lindgren)
63. A Pocket for Corduroy (Don Freeman) [read to my son]
64. Prince Caspian (C. S. Lewis)
65. The Polar Express (Chris Van Allsburg)
66. Pollyanna (Eleanor Porter)
67. Redwall (Brian Jacques) [read to my son]
68. Robinson Crusoe (Daniel Defoe)
69. The Secret Garden (Frances Burnett)
70 The Secret of the Old Clock (Carolyn Keene)
71. The Snowy Day (Ezra Keats)
72. Stellaluna (Janell Cannon) [read to my son]
73. Stone Soup (Marcia Brown)
74. The Story of Babar (Jean De Brunhoff) [read to my son]
75. Stuart Little (E. B. White)
76. The Summer of the Swans (Betsy Byars)
77. Sylvester & the Magic Pebble (William Stieg) [read to my son]
78. The Tale of Jemima Puddle Duck (Beatrix Potter) [read to my son]
79. The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher (Beatrix Potter) [read to my son]
80. The Tale of Peter Rabbit (Beatrix Potter) [read to my son]
81. Thomas the Tank Engine (Rev. Awdry) [read to my son]
82. Through the Looking Glass (Lewis Carroll)
83. The Three Musketeers (Alexander Dumas)
84. The Ugly Duckling (Hans Christian Andersen)
85. The Velveteen Rabbit (Margery Williams)
86. The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Eric Carle) [read to my son]
87. A Visit From St. Nicholas (Clement Moore)
88. Voyage of the Dawn Treader (C. S. Lewis)
89. Watership Down (Richard Adams)
90. The Westing Game (Ellen Raskin) [read to my son]
91. When We Were Very Young (A. A. Milne)
92. Where the Sidewalk Ends (Shel Silverstein)
93. Where the Wild Things Are (Maurice Sendak)
94. Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears (Verna Aardema)
95. The Wind in the Willows (Kenneth Grahame)
96. Winnie the Pooh (A. A. Milne)
97. A Wrinkle in Time (Madeleine L'Engle)

Not bad...I was also interested to see how many I had read because I had a son. I remember discovering Captain Pugwash with Kyle. That's when he was all pirates, all the time. Captain Pugwash is a VERY fun book (and series; there's more than one Pugwash book). I also discovered the Tintin series with Kyle--although the library did not have the one Tintin book that made this list (Tintin in the Land of the Soviets). May have to track that one down to make my Tintin reading more complete.

PS: I miscounted the first time, Birdie. 97, instead of 95!

4 comments:

Teacher/Learner said...

Well done! I haven't posted about it yet, but checked my own score & I've read 74 with 37 on my TBR list. I hadn't heard of many of them. Sounds like a great challenge!

Birdie said...

Wow! I wish my mum had been interested in reading me lots of different books. That's very cool. My mum is awesome in a lot of ways, but reading aloud wasn't particularly interesting to her. I love it. I still love to read aloud and to be read to.

Isn't this a fun list? I always love going through lists like this. It pleases me to run across familiar titles and I always find something else that sounds fascinating!

Bev Hankins said...

@Birdie: I was really trying to get Kyle to be a reader. Only middling success. He loved the Redwall books and took off on those by himself after we read a couple together. Harry Potter--check. Vampyrates (some weird vampire pirate books)--check. Star Trek books here and ther--check. That about covers it. Oh and Tintin on his own after he got old enough to read them himself.

Bev Hankins said...

Oh and didn't say, but some of the books I read myself when growing up I wound up reading to Kyle (Where the Wild Things Are, Cliffor the Big Red Dog, etc).