Tuesday, February 9, 2021
Top Ten Tuesday: Valentine's Day
hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl
It's been a very long time since I've participated in the Top Ten Tuesday (in fact it's been about 7 years--how did that happen?), but Kate over at Cross Examining Crime has tempted me with her post about Dell covers and romantic "advice." So, I've been on a cover scavenger hunt of my own. I went looking for covers that feature popular items and themes associated with Valentine's Day.
1. Hearts: From the years of grade school hearts have represented love and Valentine's Day--we cut out red hearts from construction paper in art class. The valentines we exchanged were loaded with pink and red hearts. Even mystery covers come festooned with them--of course, most people don't expect murder on Valentine's Day.
2. Lots of folks choose to "Say It With Flowers" on Valentine's Day--buying roses and other beautiful bouquets for their loved ones. Just make sure yours doesn't come with a message of death attached.
3. Another popular gift for romance is chocolates. Nothing says "I Love You" like a box of candy filled with arsenic.
4. But maybe you'd like to be a little more extravagant in your gift-giving. How about a beautiful diamond...with a bonus skeleton?
5. Sharing a bottle of bubbly or a nice glass of wine can also help those romantic moments along. And if things don't go as well as planned, you could always drop a bit of cyanide into a peach brandy where it will hardly be noticed at all.
6. But what of the evening's activities? Do you have a date for Valentine's Day? Do you have an interesting evening planned? Dinner? A movie? Stumbling over dead bodies?
7. Perhaps you and your beloved enjoy going to the theater. Hopefully, you've planned ahead and gotten your tickets well in advance. But we'll also hope there won't be a death in the final act. Especially yours.
8. Music is another good idea for the romantically-inclined. Picking the right melodies can set just the right mood for a cozy little night together...or for a cozy little murder.
9. And maybe you like a little dancing with your music. It's certainly a lovely way to get up close and personal with your significant other. Just make sure you know what they're doing with that hand behind your back.
10. If your Valentine's day has been a success (and you've survived), then when the evening's over don't forget to give your sweetie a heart-felt kiss goodnight kiss.