Monday, November 2, 2020

The Nine Tailors


 The Nine Tailors (1934) by Dorothy L. Sayers.

This is going to be a far more informal review than usual. If you'd like more detail on the story itself, please see my previous reviews linked below. I was quite surprised when I decided to read this for the 52 Book Club Reading Challenge's "Mensa Reading list grades 9-12" prompt (having tried JFK's Profiles in Courage and just not being able to get through it)...as I said, I was quite surprised to find that I had not used The Nine Tailors previously for my very own Mount TBR Challenge. So, I'm very excited that I can count this for more challenges than expected. 

I will say that this is a brand new edition for me (reading-wise)--previous reviews (found HERE, HERE, and HERE) were from the World War II-era Pocket book edition and from listening to the audiobook. I was delighted to find that this newer Harcourt Brace Jovanovich copy has maps of both the church and the town and country around it. I always like it when mysteries offer up maps to help the reader orient themselves to the countryside or the floorplan of the vital building in the plot. 




As always, it was great fun to visit once again with Lord Peter and Bunter.  I was struck this time by how much I like the Rector, Mr. Venables as well as Hezekiah Lavender, the elder statesman of bell ringers in Fenchurch St. Paul. And Sayers writing is always a joy to read. It was a bit poignant to visit with them in this book where the influenza is playing such a huge role--though not quite as much as watching the filmed version where Bunter actually helps get Will Thoday home when he stumbles into the Wheatsheaf looking like death warmed over. One wants to warn Bunter to put his scarf over his face. ★★★★

First line: "That's torn it!" said Lord Peter Wimsey.

Last Line: "I'll wish you good-morning, gentlemen," he said, and went out.

1 comment:

Tom Farthing said...

I would be happy to answer any questions about change ringing including how Lord Peter deciphers the cryptic message.

Tom Farthing
North American Guild of Change Ringers Public Relations Officer
publicrelations@nagcr.org