Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Anticipation

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Top Ten Tuesday is an original bookish meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week a new top ten topic is posted for followers to write about. This week we're listing our Top Ten Books that we're excited to read in 2012. As anyone who follows my blog knows...I'm signed up for oodles of challenges and that means that I've got quite a few books on the "To Do" list. Of the books I'm planning to read, here's a selection of what's really grabbing me so far:

1. 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I've said it before and I'll say it again...this will be the first King book ever for me. But when I heard the synopsis--time travel to try and prevent JFK's assassination, I couldn't resist. And Santa's helper (aka the Hubby) managed to put it under the tree for me.

2. From Sawdust to Stardust: The Biography of DeForest Kelley, Star Trek's Dr. McCoy: by Terry Lee Rioux. I'm a Classic Trek girl from way back. And I love DeForest Kelley. I can't wait to read this biography.

3. The Golden Scorpion by Sax Rohmer. Any fan of vintage mysteries should be familiar with the name Sax Rohmer. I have been for a long time, but I've never read one of his novels. This is the year.

4. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. I'm slowly working my way through the Austen books I haven't read yet. I look forward to every one. I'm hoping I love this one more than I did Emma.

5. The Fleet Street Murders by Charles Finch. Finch does a marvelous job with this historical mystery series set in Victorian England. I've had this one on the TBR shelf for too long. Ready for it this year.

6. A Sprig of Sea Lavender by J. R. L. Anderson. This book has been on my Wishlist for ages. I don't even remember how I first heard about it--it's been that long. It's been a very elusive book to find And my mother-in-law managed to grab it up for me at a huge used book store in Florida. I don't care that there's other books that have been in the house longer. Gotta read it!

7. Murder at the Stork Club by Vera Caspary. I've been on the look-out for more Caspary books ever since I read (and watched the movie version of) Laura. Found this one at a huge garage sale last year. Another must read (that just happens to fulfill challenges).

8. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. A classic that I've put off much longer than I should have. I'm eager to cross it off my long TBR list.

9. The Rose Window & Other Verse from New Poems by Rainer Maria Rilke. I love Rilke's poetry. I'm really looking forward to this one.

10. Strange Murders at Greystones by Elsie N Wright. This was an interesting little find at the Red Cross Book Sale this past fall. I couldn't resist it--it's a vintage mystery. But some of the things I've read about it on the interwebs make me think this may wind up being a train wreck kind of book--the kind that you just can't look away from; it's so bad it's good. I'm interested to find out.


6 comments:

LBC said...

I'm jealous that Gatsby is on your list. It is so wonderful. I haven't read any King either, but I don't think I'll start with 11/22/63. But, I guess I've got to start somewhere.

Tanya Patrice said...

I want to read 11/22/63 too - I love Sepehn King - and he has a prequel to The Dark Tower series coming out this year too that I want to read.

Irene Palfy said...

Thank you for commenting on my list! I liked SENSE AND SENSIBILITY very much - but I haven't read EMMA yet - so I can't compare them..

Glad to learn that you like Rilke, too! And Vera Caspary!! Great!!

From you other books I only have read THE GREAT GATSBY..

Hope you'll enjoy FROM SAWDUST TO STARDUST - I loved the title from the first moment I found that one.. But frankly: I am more of "team Spock" - if you allow me to be girlish, here.. ;")

Have a great day, Bev!

Teacher/Learner said...

Santa also left 11/22/63 under my tree :) I'm hoping to start it next. And I loved Sense & Sensibility (I thought it was much better than Emma). I can't wait to hear what you think about it.

Jenners said...

It kind of cracks me up you are anticipating a Jane Austen book!! ; )

Bev Hankins said...

Jenners: I LOVE Austen (well...mostly...I didn't love Emma. But all the rest that I've read so far--I've loved)