Friday, January 13, 2012

Theme Thursday: Know




Hosted by Reading Between the Pages

Rules
*A theme will be posted each week on Thursday
*Select a conversation/snippet/sentence from your current book that features the theme
*Post it and don't forget to mention the author and title of the book
*Event is open for the whole week
*Link back to Reading Between the Pages

This week's theme is KNOW (aware, knowing, realize, etc).

Here is mine from "Remembering Siri," a short story in Prayers to Broken Stones by Dan Simmons (p. 111), It's kind of long, but I thought it was such a great passage (I trimmed out a bit at the ***):

"You've been to places I'll never see," said Siri in a rush. Her voice was the same. Almost the same. "Merin, my love, you've seen things I cannot even imagine. You probably know more facts about the universe than I would guess existed But you know very little, my darling."

***

"How do you mean?"

She squinted away from me for a few seconds and absently brushed back a strand of hair. Her left hand stayed firmly around both of mine. "I'm not sure," she said softly. "I think one begins to feel when things aren't important. I'm not sure how to put it. When you've spent thirty years entering rooms filled with strangers you feel less pressure than when you've had only half that number of years experience. You know what the room and the people in it probably hold for you and you go looking for it. If it's not there, you sense it earlier and leave to go about your business. You just know more about what is, what isn't, and how little time there is to learn the difference. Do you understand, Merin? Do you follow me even a little bit?

4 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Intriguing excerpts...I agree that after entering rooms for many years, there is definitely less pressure.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

I just signed up to subscribe via e-mail to your blog, since I'm doing the Mt. TBR Challenge.

Bev Hankins said...

Thanks for signing up! Glad to have you following along!

Tea said...

I follow her. I know just what she's saying.

Yvonne said...

Great choice for this week's theme!