Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Post of Shame

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Top Ten Tuesday is an original bookish meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week a
new top ten topic is posted for followers to write about. This week we're to list our Top Ten Books that Having Been Sitting on the TBR Shelf. These sorts of lists always make me look bad. I have books that have sitting on my TBR shelf for about 30 years...just waiting for the "right moment." Whenever that might be. You will notice that there are no mysteries on this list...I tend to stay pretty current with those (nothing on the shelf longer than two years or so...yes, I have a book-buying habit that is just a tad out of control).

Here we go:

1. The Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov. Fell in love with Asimov when I was about twelve. Talked my parents into buying the set for me for Christmas almost 30 years ago. Have not read them.
2. All the Star Trek novels that are unread (too many to count--but they no longer sit and mock me--my son has claimed all things Star Trek and they are in his room). Again, I really got into Star Trek and science fiction when I was about twelve. I began reading (buying) every ST book in sight. Haven't really read any for about 15-20 years or so. Lots left to catch up on.
3. Alone Against Tomorrow by Harlan Ellison: On the shelf 15-20 years. Another science fiction book that I just had to have, but never got around to.
4. Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen: This one has only been on the physical TBR shelf for about 3 years, but Austen has been on my TBR list since college (20 years-ish).
5. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens: Got a copy of this in high school (don't quite remember why/how), tried to read it and just couldn't. The plan is to get this off the TBR pile this year. I've put it down for all kinds challenges just to be sure that I do.
6. The Scarlet Letter by Nathanial Hawthorne: One of those books that I ought to read to be well-read. Thought I would do so 30 years ago when I bought it. Not yet.
7. Poems & Prose by Christina Rossetti: On the shelf about 10 years. I love her poetry. Cannot explain why I haven't read this yet.
8. Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis: Another 10 year veteran. I also love his non-fiction. But this one hasn't said "read me" yet.
9. Chancellorsville & Gettysburg by General Abner Doubleday: 15 year TBR veteran. I have an on-again, off-again passion for the Civil War. My parents bought this for me when I was supposed to be on-again. Haven't read it yet.
10. The Madwoman in the Attic by Sandra M. Gilbert & Susan Gubar: On the physical TBR shelf only about 2 years...but I have long wanted to read this work. One of my regrets from my college years at IU is that I never took a course from Susan Gubar.


13 comments:

Falaise said...

I highly recommend both the Foundation series and a Tale of Two Cities.

Trish said...

I have the hardest time with Dickens! I keep giving him a try but I have yet to finish anything.

Lisa said...

I have a Tale of Two Cities on my shelf too. I totally forgot about that one.

Teacher/Learner said...

Please read Sense & Sensibility :) It's stuck with me since I read it over a month ago. Terrific book. You won't regret it.

Red said...

So many good books on your tbr (except maybe Scarlet Letter which is just so blech, for me anyway). I appreciate your conviction to keep the books even though 20 some odd years have passed. Love it!

kayerj said...

wow--what an ambitious list. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

J F Norris said...

I thought anyone who went to school in the US had to read THE SCARLET LETTER at some time. I think I did so in the 10th grade (back in the late 1970s). I'm surprised you didn't have it forced upon you in your schooling, Bev. I actually liked it considering the subject matter seemed really very advanced for my rather naive 15 year-old self back then.

Bev Hankins said...

@John: Read Moby Dick (yuck), Wuthering Heights (yea), The Old Man & the Sea (yuck), Great Expectations (yuck), The Hobbit (so-so), Siddhartha (yea), Huckleberry Finn (yea), a fair amount of Poe, and a few others that I'm blanking on. No Scarlet Letter.

Anonymous said...

Sense and Sensibility is very good, but my favourite Austen is Northanger Abbey. :)
Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday post. :)

Jenners said...

Wow .. you do have some books that have been sitting there A LONG TIME!! Poor things!!! I'm amazed you kept them for so long.

Bev Hankins said...

@Jenners: As the hubby will attest...it's hard for me to give up books. Even if i haven't managed to read them....

Bellas Shelf said...

I am ashamed of myself. I left the classics back in school. I forgot them when I graduated & moved onto to modern stuff.
I think I will read a few of the classics I packed away this winter. There are many cold nights here in CT that would be PERFECT to re visit a few old friends..
BOOKS & BEYOND

Loni said...

This is definitely a list of shame.
Sense and Sensibility might be my favourite Austen, though I know most people prefer Pride and Prejudice. I just love the Dashwoods.