Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Girl in the Green Raincoat (Take 2)

I read Laura Lippman's The Girl in the Green Raincoat two years ago (February 2011) for various challenges and primarily because at that time I had seen so much talk about it out here on the interwebs.  Thanks to the Bingo Reading Challenge which has a whole row dedicated to re-reads (and fortuitously finding a copy in the Friend of the Library's Bookstore), I sat down to read this little novella this past weekend. And found it to be just as delightful as the first time around.

I honestly don't have a whole lot to say that's new (for my original thoughts, please click on the title above).  But, and perhaps this is because of my recent experiences with my dad, I did notice Tess's relationship with her father a lot more this time around.  He doesn't appear much (really only in one small scene), but I really appreciated the image of her father and the affection between them revealed in that scene.

I also enjoyed Lippman's story-telling ability.  Despite the fact that I knew who and remembered the suspenseful ending, she still managed to get me all wrapped up in Tess's predicament and all the investigations that she had to watch second-hand.  Excellent short novel--four stars then and four stars now.

1 comment:

Marce said...

This is the one I have chosen to try LauraL work, does sound good.