Wednesday, June 5, 2013

May Wrap-up & POM Awards

I'm continuing to combine my monthly wrap-up post with Kerrie's Crime Fiction Pick of the Month over at Mysteries in Paradise.  Goodness....May is over already?!




Still lagging behind--just when I think I might be getting my reading mojo back, I start lagging.  Only 10 books this month (and I'm that many books behind on my GoodReads challenge--yikes!) and nowhere near last year's total for the month of 18! (where did all that reading time go this year?)  It's looking less and less likely that I'm going to meet all those challenges.....

Here we go with the stats...

Total Books Read: 10
Total Pages: 2454 [decent page number for less books....]

Average Rating: 3.225 stars
Top Rating: 5 stars (one book)
Percentage by Female Authors: 50%

Percentage by US Authors: 30%

Percentage by non-US/non-British Authors: 40%
Percentage Mystery: 100%
Percentage Fiction: 100%
Percentage written 2000+: 20%
Percentage of Rereads: 20%
Percentage Read for Challenges: 100% {It's eas
y to have every book count for a challenge when you sign up for as many as I do.}  
Number of Challenges fulfilled so far: 9 (32%)




AND, as mentioned above,
Kerrie has started us up for another year of Crime Fiction Favorites. What she's looking for is our Top Mystery Read for each month. In May, all ten of the books I read were as mysteries:

Inland Passage by George Harmon Coxe (3 stars)
Choice of Evils by E. X. Ferrars (3 stars) 
The Talking Sparrow Murders by Darwin L. Teilhet (2.75 stars)
Murder as a Fine Art by David Morrell (5 stars)
Finding Camlann by Sean Pidgeon (2 stars)
Sleep No More by Margaret Erskine (3 stars)
Death at Crane's Court by Eilis Dillon (4 stars)
Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood (3.5 stars)
The Curse of the Bronze Lamp by Carter Dickson (3 stars)
Miss Silver Deals With Death by Patricia Wentworth (3 stars)





As you can see above, I handed out a five-star rating this month.   So, it's not hard to figure out that this month's POM Award goes to




.... Murder as a Fine Art by David Morrell.  As I say in my review (link above), this is as fine a historical mystery as I have ever read.  Well-researched, well-plotted, and absolutely absorbing.
 


4 comments:

fredamans said...

Happy June reading!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to reading it, but I do love that title Murder as a Fine Art.

Bev Hankins said...

Geoff...that is a pretty fine book. Hope you have a chance to fit it into your schedule at some point.

TracyK said...

Ten books is a big month for me. Your review of David Morrell's book has me interested in it. Thanks.