Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Dracula (graphic novel)


 Dracula
by Bram Stoker (adapted by Naunerle Farr and illustrated by Nestor Redondo; 1973)

In 2012 I read the original Dracula for the very first time and when reviewed it I mentioned this 1970s "graphic novel." I use quotes because that term didn't really exist in the 70s. This book, one of a series, is referred to as an illustrated classic. Pendulum Press did a whole range of classic novels in this graphic novel format with the aim of getting classics into the classroom in an easily accessible version. There are study guide questions at the end intended to help teachers encourage close reading among their students. I didn't meet Dracula in the classroom, however. Unless you count receiving the Dracula, Frankenstein, and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde three-pack of illustrated classics through the Weekly Reader book order form at school...

I loved reading these adaptations then--there was just enough of the books' creepy storyline to give me the shivers without thoroughly freaking me out. Rereading Dracula now over forty years later, I'm impressed with how much of the story Farr managed to pack into this condensed version. All the important plot points are covered and kids reading this version would have a very good grasp of the Stoker story--from Jonathan Harker's first encounter with the Count in Transylvania to the final showdown with the vampire in England. I have to say I enjoyed the graphic version every bit as much now as I did when I was young. ★ 

***********
Deaths = 2 (stabbed with sharp instrument--vampire teeth and then stake to heart and knife to cut off head to give a final death to the undead vampires)


  


2 comments:

Rick Mills said...

Wondering how to code "vampire bite" in the Medical Examiner challenge!

Unknown said...

Thank you for this post! I used to have the Dracula volume, and loved it, and I've been trying to find the rest of these, or at least the name of the publisher. Thank you again! Tom Hofer