I finally completed both Bingo cards in the Vintage Mystery Bingo. It was beginning to look a little iffy...after all there is less than three weeks left in year. I had my Silver Age "Have to Borrow" book all picked out, put it on hold at the library and waited....and waited...and waited. Nothing. When I went back in to check on things, I discovered that it was now "Missing." So, I had to figure out a different book.
The difficulty is that the older books that our library keeps on hand tend to be the well-known classics of the field--which means I've read most of them. It was a bit of a trick finding something that sounded like a winner that I hadn't read. Michael Gilbert's Game Without Rules made an excellent wrap-up for my Vintage Bingo gaming experience. See below for the complete list of books read for this challenge.
So--how are you all doing? I've heard "Bingo!" ringing out throughout the year.
34. Death in Kashmir by M. M. Kaye  (8/25/15) [Anywhere But US/England]
Bingo! Two Ways!
35. Black Alibi by Cornell Woolrich  (9/23/15) [Entertainment World] Bingo! Two Ways!
36. The Red Box by Rex Stout  (10/3/15) [Read by Another Challenger: Les Blatt]
1. Police Procedurals by Martin H. Greenberg & Bill Pronzini, eds  (1/9/15) [Professional Detective]
2. Death Over Deep Water by Simon Nash  (2/8/15) [Mode of Transportation]
3. Caught Dead in Philadelphia by Gillian Roberts  (2/11/15) [Academic mystery]
4. A Stitch in Time by Emma Lathen  (2/17/15) [Pseudonymous Author]
5. Death & Mr. Prettyman by Kenneth Giles  (3/6/15) [Lawyer, Judge, etc.]
6. The Playground of Death by John Buxton Hilton  (3/18/15) [Historical]
7. Malice Domestic by Sara Woods  (3/26/15) [Set in U.S./England]
8. Murder Fantastical by Patricia Moyes  (3/29/15) [Clergy/Religion]
9. Dine & Be Dead [aka Death Lives Next Door] by Gwendoline Butler  (3/29/15) [More Than One Title]
10. The False Inspector Dew by Peter Lovesey  (4/1/150) [Man in Title]
11. The Cavalier in White by Marcia Muller  (4/18/15) [Color in Title]
12. The Wilberforce Legacy by Josephine Bell  (4/19/15) [Birth Year--mine]
13. The Great Dinosaur Robbery by David Forrest  (5/15/15) [Made into Movie]
14. The Abominable Man by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö  (5/29/15) [Set Anywhere But US/England]
15. Falling Star by Patricia Moyes  (6/12/15) [Entertainment World]
16. Young Mrs. Cavendish & the Kaiser's Men  (7/4/15) [Woman in Title]
17. Hand of Fate by Michael Underwood  (7/5/15) [Spooky]
18. The Crime & the Crystal by Elizabeth Ferrars  (7/9/15) [Amateur Detective] BINGO!
19. Shadow of a Doubt by June Thomson  (7/27/15) [Medical Mystery] BINGO!
20. The Penny Murders by Lionel Black  (7/31/15) [Locked Room]
21. The Old Die Young by Richard Lockridge  (8/9/15) [Detective Team]
22. Jewelled Eye by Douglas Clark [1985} (9/1/15) [Crime Other Than Murder] BINGO!
23. The Fourteen Dilemma by Hugh Pentecost  (9/3/15) [Number in Title]
24. The Brandenbug Hotel by Pauline Glen Winslow  (9/7/15) [Place in Title]
25. The Gay Phoenix by Michael Innes  (9/15/15) [TBR 1st Lines]
26. Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters  (9/28/15) [Animal in Title]
27. Happiness Is a Warm Corpse as edited by Alfred Hitchcock  (10/7/15) [Short Story Collection]
28. Ax by Ed McBain  (10/21/15) [Out of Comfort Zone]
29. Murder on Cue by Jane Dentinger  (10/27/15) [Author Never Read Before] BINGO Two Ways!
30. There Hangs the Knife by Marcia Muller  (10/29/15) [Method in Title]
31. Murder in the Hellfire Club  (11/3/15) [Eat, Drink & Be Merry] BINGO!
32. In Spite of Thunder by John Dickson Carr  (11/7/15) [Country House] BINGO!
33. Perpetual Check by Conrad Haynes  (11/20/15) [Same Initial]
34. Murder at the ABA by Isaac Asimov  (11/23/15) [Read by Another Challenger] BINGO Two Ways!
35. The Monday Theory by Douglas Clark  (12/7/15) [Time, Day, Month in Title (12/7/15) BINGO Two Ways!
36. Game Without Rules by Michael Gilbert  (12/14/15) [Have to Borrow]