Monday, June 22, 2015

The A.B.C. Murders: Review

I've mentioned before how difficult it is for me to review audio novels. I tend to just sink back and listen rather than pay attention to details and take notes for review comments. My latest session with Hercule Poirot in The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie (1936) is no different. It doesn't even help that I've read the novel before--because that was long ago when I was first discovering Christie. For the most part, I enjoyed this BBC production of the novel--although I have to admit, after watching David Suchet play Poirot and listening to several audio novels with him as the reader, I have been spoiled and I can't say that John Moffatt fulfills my ideal of Poirot's voice and intonation. It was nice to hear Philip Jackson's familiar voice as Inspector Japp The plot itself is quite good--even when one knows (as I do) the solution. It is still very interesting to listen to Christie work her magic and hear Poirot explain how he gets into the mind of the killer to discover who s/he is.

Just a small overview of the plot--for those who have yet to read this mystery classic or for those who need a refresher. Hercule Poirot receives a taunting letter challenging him to discover the identity of a killer before he or she strikes. The great detective is told to direct his attention to Andover--but Mrs. Ascher, a tobacco shop owner, is killed in her shop with an ABC Railway guide left on the counter before Poirot can even reach the town. Betty Barnard is next to die in Bexhill and then Sir Carmichael Clarke in Churston. It looks like England has a serial killer on its hands. Will Poirot be able to use his "little grey cells" to outwit the murderer before he can work his way through the rest of the alphabet?


This counts for the "Made into Movie/TV" square on the Golden Vintage Bingo card. The first adaptation of the novel came in the form of the 1965 film (The Alphabet Murders) starring Tony Randall as the Belgian sleuth.



And then in 1992, David Suchet played Poirot in the television adaption in the Agatha Christie's Poirot series.




4 comments:

fredamans said...

I have the same problem with audiobooks. Great review still.

Yvette said...

I love audio books but I agree it's hard keep the details in mind. Though at my age I tend to lose the details in regular books as well. :)

I also love THE ABC MURDERS, reading and listening. One of my favorite Christie books. I reread it and/or listen to it all the time.

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of full cast radio adaptations as opposed to speaking books and I think i have this somewhere - I'll have to dig it out, thanks Bev. I do like the Randall comedy version, but I know I'm in the minority in this ...

Bev Hankins said...

Sergio, I've never seen the entire Randall movie--just bits and pieces.