SCAM artist alert

Apparently there is someone calling themself "Luigi Calloway" out there who is claiming to be associated with the Mount TBR Reading Challenge. He is contacting authors and telling them if they pay him, then their books will be used for the challenge. It's possible he's also telling people they must pay to participate in any way. Please know that there is absolutely no charge associated in any way with this reading challenge and that this person does not represent me or anything associated with my blog. There will NEVER be a reason for anyone to have to pay for participation in any way for any of my challenges. If only people who exert this much time and effort on scamming people would put it into something worthwhile....like reading their own books!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Booking Through Thursday: Travel With Books


This week's Booking Through Thursday question: When you travel, how many books do you bring with you? Has this changed since the arrival of ebooks?

Well, it all depends on how long the trip is. But I always take at least 2-3 even if it's only a day or two. One never knows what might come up and force one to have periods of time where a book might come in real handy. Bad weather on an outdoorsy trip? Read! Stuck in traffic/at the airport/anywhere? Read! (That's why there's always a book in my purse...)

Ebooks have not changed my habits one iota. I don't have a Kindle or a Nook or an ipad or any transportable device. I don't plan on buying one. But I will say this: Travel is the only reason I can imagine wanting one. If I made long trips (especially by plane) more often than I do, then I could see ebooks being a great way to have plenty of books on tap without the weight of lugging them around. Other than that, my take on ebooks (and my family, friends, & coworkers are getting a tad bit tired of hearing my speech on this)--there is absolutely NOTHING like holding a real book in your hands. Or at least my hands.

8 comments:

Manga Maniac said...

I agree that there is nothing like reading a physical book. Turning the pages, looking at the glossy cover - you just can't do that with an ereader.

BUT! I hate lugging around heavy books, so I am trying to make the transition to ebooks when I am on the road.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! If it's bad weather without a book...ugh that is the worst.

CMash said...

I own an EReader but would pack PBs for travel.
CMash

Suzanne said...

I have a nook and it is really convenient for travelling, however I think I still need to bring an old-fashioned book when I fly as you must power down all devices for takeoff and landing and I'd be in withdrawal for those 10 minutes!

I have an award for you on my blog:
http://bibliosue.blogspot.com/2010/10/i-won-award.html

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

I agree with you right down the line -- I could have cut and pasted your post.

We were just on vacation and had a couple of very rainy days when it was no fun to go outside at all. I was glad to have a couple of hefty books to keep me entertained.

Anonymous said...

I reduce a stack of about 10 books to 2 trade paperbacks and Kindle when I fly to Asia. The length of the trip is key to how many hard copies I'm bringing. I almost never use my Kindle when I'm not traveling.

Yvonne said...

I used to bring around 10 paperbacks on vacation with me, but now it's just the Nook and it's been great for traveling.

Anonymous said...

I prefer real books too! I am slowly warming up to the idea of getting an e-reader. However, I would probably still take a book or two as back ups.
Here is my post:
https://pageflippinaddict.wordpress.com/2010/10/07/booking-through-thursday-travel/