Monday, September 26, 2011

Five Best Books: Banned or Challenged


5 Best Books is the weekly meme hosted by Cassandra at INDIE READER HOUSTON. Each week there's a new topic and 5 book picks to talk about. This week, in honor of Banned Books Week, we are to pick the Five Best Banned &/or Challenged Books. Check out Cassandra's wonderful post re: banned books and her own 5 Best.


Here are mine (with clickable titles for reviews where appropriate):

1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

2. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou




3. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
4. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut


5. The Awakening by Kate Chopin



Oh! And I forgot Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury which I learned from Amanda over at Dead White Guys was "banned in 1998 by a school board in Mississippi because of the word 'god damn.' Obviously, the parent who complained did not catch the irony. He was too busy being a dumb ass." {I just had to quote her....she says it much more emphatically than I ever could.}

8 comments:

Yvette said...

Great choices, Bev. I've read GONE WITH THE WIND and TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.

I've always meant to read SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE but never have. Maybe one of these days.

Cassandra said...

I think this is a great list! The only one that I haven't read (and don't intend to) is Gone With the Wind. I read a parody once that kind of ruined the book for me. I just don't think I could red the real thing. :)

Great list! Thanks for joining us.

Sherrie said...

Hi Bev,
I've read 2 of your listed books. To Kill A Mockingbird and Gone With the Wind. I'll be putting the other 3 on my TBR list. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Thanks for the list... I am reading banned books all week and having a huge giveaway.... books and gift card.

I have not read The Awakening, that may be one to get on next years list.

Katy said...

Lolol I love Amanda's comments on banning Fahrenheit 451! So truly ironic! Nice choices!

Marce said...

I have only read TKAM. I am still stunned over the fact books get banned, what a disgrace and probably voted for and held up by parents that haven't read it themselves to have a real valid opinion, ugggh.

Col (Col Reads) said...

Bev, the comment on Fahrenheit 451 made me laugh out loud! Great list -- Slaughterhouse 5 would definitely be on mine!

Jenners said...

It is terrible that I haven't read Slaughterhouse Five or I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings. I need to change that!