ATTENTION CHALLENGE PARTICIPANTS


***2015 Vintage Bingo Challenge Change Alert: due to financial constraints, I am forced to revise my prize offerings for 2015. Please see the original challenge post via the Headquarters link for details.***

My second "Famous Person" Password has begun--clue number one is up at the Super Book Password Challenge link (see sidebar). Everyone is welcome to guess the Passwords still in play.


Some of Bev's Favorite Quotes...



Monday, September 26, 2011

Five Best Books: Banned or Challenged


5 Best Books is the weekly meme hosted by Cassandra at INDIE READER HOUSTON. Each week there's a new topic and 5 book picks to talk about. This week, in honor of Banned Books Week, we are to pick the Five Best Banned &/or Challenged Books. Check out Cassandra's wonderful post re: banned books and her own 5 Best.


Here are mine (with clickable titles for reviews where appropriate):

1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

2. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou




3. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
4. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut


5. The Awakening by Kate Chopin



Oh! And I forgot Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury which I learned from Amanda over at Dead White Guys was "banned in 1998 by a school board in Mississippi because of the word 'god damn.' Obviously, the parent who complained did not catch the irony. He was too busy being a dumb ass." {I just had to quote her....she says it much more emphatically than I ever could.}

8 comments:

Yvette said...

Great choices, Bev. I've read GONE WITH THE WIND and TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.

I've always meant to read SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE but never have. Maybe one of these days.

Cassandra said...

I think this is a great list! The only one that I haven't read (and don't intend to) is Gone With the Wind. I read a parody once that kind of ruined the book for me. I just don't think I could red the real thing. :)

Great list! Thanks for joining us.

Sherrie said...

Hi Bev,
I've read 2 of your listed books. To Kill A Mockingbird and Gone With the Wind. I'll be putting the other 3 on my TBR list. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Thanks for the list... I am reading banned books all week and having a huge giveaway.... books and gift card.

I have not read The Awakening, that may be one to get on next years list.

Katy said...

Lolol I love Amanda's comments on banning Fahrenheit 451! So truly ironic! Nice choices!

Marce said...

I have only read TKAM. I am still stunned over the fact books get banned, what a disgrace and probably voted for and held up by parents that haven't read it themselves to have a real valid opinion, ugggh.

Col (Col Reads) said...

Bev, the comment on Fahrenheit 451 made me laugh out loud! Great list -- Slaughterhouse 5 would definitely be on mine!

Jenners said...

It is terrible that I haven't read Slaughterhouse Five or I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings. I need to change that!