Friday, October 29, 2010

The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is a bookish meme which has been hosted by Storytime With Tonya. It's really easy (and fun!) to participate.

*Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
*Turn to page 56 and find the fifth sentence.
*Post that sentence (plus one or two more if you like) with these instructions on your blog or in the comments section below.
*Post a link back to this blog and Storytime with Tonya.
*Don't Dig for your favorite book, the coolest, most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST!

Here's mine from Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life by Steve Martin:
(Page 56 is blank...so I'm using page 54)

My final day at the magic shop, I stood behind the counter where I had pitched Svengali decks and the Incredible Shrinking Die, and I felt an emotional contradiction: nostalgia for the present.

4 comments:

Jenners said...

I love that line: nostalgia for the present. My husband read this book but I didn't ... I think we have it laying around here somewhere.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

That is a unique perspective...nostalgia for the present. Makes me think of moments we're holding onto while knowing that they're slipping away...sad.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Sounds like a good book. I've been thinking about reading that. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books
http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2010/10/friday-56_29.html

fredamans said...

This book is one I would love and laugh to. Great 56!

I am the new hostess for this meme. I hope to see you next Friday!